Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Expert

Angry UNI-11 test and services

Hi, i face with problems while UNI-11 TEST in new signed criteria:
    Correct Auto-start Behavior
    Application must provide end user option to enable/disable automate application start up at the
    device boot.

STEP1: Start the application
    STEP2: Close the application
    STEP3:Turn off the test device and then turn back on
    RESULT: Upon restart the application does not start automatically by default.
    STEP4: Start the application again
    STEP5: Check the settings within the application that auto-start can be set to on/off.
    RESULT: There must be an ON/OFF setting available.
    STEP6: Set auto-start to ON
    STEP7:Turn off the test device and then turn back on
    RESULT: The test device starts up successfully.
    STEP8: Start the application again
    STEP9: Set auto-start to OFF
    RESULT: The user can disable auto-start successfully having enabled it previously.
    STEP10:Turn off the test device and then turn back on
    STEP11: Start the application again
    RESULT: The test device starts up successfully.

EXCEPTION(S)
     UNI-11.EX1 Functionality Not Present
    An exception to this test case is granted to applications that do not provide auto-start functionality
    WTF! My application is invisible service which use STARTUP API. It's unreachible from Main Menu and does't have settings! What should i do? Is just a information message during installation enouth? Like, "Sorry man, if you install that app you can't disable it's autostart"? Or i have to ask some waiver?

Regular Contributor

Re: UNI-11 test and services

You need to provide the above settings, simple as that.

Jack

Nokia Developer Expert

So i need include big GUI setting executable with small non-GUI exe?! Great.
    What about if autostart should never be disabled? If that service can be used by other 3rd party programs, like PIPS lib. (for example 3-5 games use one shared service which embedd in every sis). And if I disable that service autostart, then that affect unexpected nuber of installed applications?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Your example is not relevant. If a server has no clients it should not be running just because maybe tomorrow some application will need that service. If a client will need the service it will start it, or rather your client side implementation will do that if a running instance is not found.

So, do you have a real use case for a background running process that must be always on and can never be stopped by the user or otherwise the world would end?

Hello, all.

If some service exe (non-UI) is started after boot by Startup List Management API (OS starts application that it's path written in some [0x12345678].rsc file), how can I prevent this exe from being started up?

Regards,

Have your exe read some config file and use that file to tell the exe if it is allowed to run or not. If appropriate the exe will simply exit.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hi Folks,

I appreciate the need to be able to switch off the auto-start action for an app, the customer should be allowed his choice...

But I don't really understand how to use Lucien's solution of having a marker in the config file.

How does the application find out whether it is being launched because it is (A) on the start-up list, or (B)if it is being launched explicitly by the user? The app needs to run in case B, but not case A.

There may be some means to find out, but I don't know where to start looking in the documentation.

This could just be me being a dumbo, as usual, but I can't quite see how it works.

The 2nd edition version of my app uses Eric Bustarret's admirable EZBoot system, so I shall just add/remove the appropriate line in his configuration file, so problem solved, feature added.

Richard

An easy solution would be providing a separate executable for the startup list. Then this executable can check the config file and launch the main executable if it is necessary.

Regular Contributor

Hi wizard_hu_,

Thank you for your kind reply. It does seem a complicated solution to what would have been a simple problem if Start-up List Management had been designed somewhat differently.

But needs must, so I will spend some more time programming around Symbian design features.

Richard

Regular Contributor

Regular Contributor

Thank you Nigel, that will save me a lot of time and effort.

Regards

Richard

Regular Contributor

Hi Folks,

I have got Nigel's solution working OK on my E65, thanks again. But I do still have a problem with on-device debugging. TRK does not seem to pass the OpaqueData on the command line, when I try to detect it in ProcessCommandParametersL. The app thinks it is in an AutoStart situation, and if autostart is switched off, it exits, as it it should, and the app disappears from the debugger.

As one of the requirements of UNI-11 is that the app should switch off autostart when closing down tidily, my app has inhibited autostart when I last closed it down, so it will not start under TRK.

If the my app closed down when the phone was switched off, it restarts when the phone is powered up, and TRK cannot run another copy in the phone.

So it seems that i must cover another circumstance on start-up, by telling the app that it is starting under TRK.

To do that, I tried putting 'AutoStart' in the command line arguments of the debug window on Carbide, and to detect that parameter within 'ProcessCommandParametersL'.

I can't seem to find out how to pick up that parameter in the app. I have tried aCommandLine.DocumentName() and aCommandLine.TailEnd(), but both are zero-length.

Would someone be kind enough to tell me where to pick up the parameter line? The Help file in Carbide is less than explicit about how to do this...

Richard

Regular Contributor

I think it is a "different command line". One is passed via the application environment (the one you are using) and the other, in Carbide is passed in RProcess::Create and is not very well supported. In fact, I don't think it is used.
    I would like to see a better description of what I just wrote, if it is correct at all.

For your case I would use #ifdef _DEBUG_ or some other preprocessor to do this because that will not affect the release code.