Discussion Board

Audio recording and streaming on Series 60 devices (C++)

Hello,

I am looking for some guidance to address the following situation:

I am trying to record audio input and continuously stream it to a network server (by having recorded audio sit in an array of buffers, and another thread posting completed buffers to the network and empty the buffers). I have checked the forum here and found some leads, but I still have the following questions:

Is it possible to record audio to buffers in the memory? If so, would there be sufficient CPU cycles left to transport the recorded buffers, and may be compress the audio before transporting (not critical)? Is there any sample code for recording audio to buffers?

Best Regards,
    Sastry

There is now an OS extension available from Symbian to do this, along with an example program. Be sure to reboot after installing the extension, before you try the example.
    See http://www.symbian.com/developer/techlib/staffapps.html

Good Luck to All!

Andy Weinstein
    Degel Software Ltd.

Thanks.. good example, it is exactly what I am looking for too.
    Last edited by tctse; 2003-05-02 at 03:08.

This example does not run on 7650 emulator (Series 60 SDK 1.0 on win2k). Any ideea why?

Super Contributor
    It works in my place (1.0 SDK on Windows 2000). I think you need to install the patch first into your SDK. Then compile and run the sample later.

Liuxg
    Forum Nokia

What patch? Do you mean tha mdaaudioimputstreaming plugin? It is installed and I can compile the application so I guess all the libs and .h are on theyr places. I'll check again ...
    But I can't use any type of sound recording on my emulator... CMdaAudioRecorderUtility does not work on emulator or phone

What patch???

liuxg, you've mentioned this patch in several related posts. Could you please be more specific?

Regular Contributor

Re: Audio recording and streaming on Series 60 devices (C++)

Quote Originally Posted by seekeru1
    Hello,

I am looking for some guidance to address the following situation:

I am trying to record audio input and continuously stream it to a network server (by having recorded audio sit in an array of buffers, and another thread posting completed buffers to the network and empty the buffers). I have checked the forum here and found some leads, but I still have the following questions:

Is it possible to record audio to buffers in the memory? If so, would there be sufficient CPU cycles left to transport the recorded buffers, and may be compress the audio before transporting (not critical)? Is there any sample code for recording audio to buffers?

Best Regards,
    Sastry
    Hi Sastry
    can u give me some hints on this problem bcoz i m facing same problem.
    and i have tried that link which are below but didn't get anything.so plz give me the right url or that code .
    i m very novice in this field and i m trying to find the solution for this problem over 1 months so plz help me thanx in advance..
    Thanx n Regards
    mobile_don(deptt of n/w).

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by andywein
    There is now an OS extension available from Symbian to do this, along with an example program. Be sure to reboot after installing the extension, before you try the example.
    See http://www.symbian.com/developer/techlib/staffapps.html

Good Luck to All!

Andy Weinstein
    Degel Software Ltd.
    HI Andy
    can u give me the right url bcoz i m not able to find this url in this site and i want this code .plz help me..
    thanx in advance..

Super Contributor

Hi,

Here is some audio recording and streaming examples. Hope these examples will help you a lot.

http://forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia..._0_en.zip.html

Regards,
    Peter