Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Google Maps in N95 browser

Hi all,

When I type maps.google.es I have found that the mobile web page is shown. I supossed that it was due to User-Agent.

But the big problem appeared when running a GoogleMaps API test page in N95, it wasn't work. It is shown the header of the html, but not the map.

Is it posible to show via web a map from google maps? If not, is there other similar APIs or services? I have heard Nokia maps, but I don't know too much about it...

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Google Maps in N95 browser

The problem is indeed ... the user-agent. It seems that for some reasons Google does not seed the map data to N95 devices.

You can verify this by changing the user-agent string in your Firefox browser so that it pretends to be the S60 browser running on an N95.

Now the question would be why is Google doing that? but I cannot give you an answer on this...

Regular Contributor

Then, if I could modify the User-Agent header, the map would be shown in N95 browser? Is it posible to do it?

May be the N95 browser doesn't support maps, and it is the reason why it is locked...

Have you tried with other mobile phones?

Thanks.

I've tried with the emulator and it worked nicely ... after changing the user-agent.

However, changing the UA is not a valid solution since other applications might rely in it being exactly as originally released. So you will have to make a bunch of tricks to ensure that the UA is changed for your browser session only. Not impossible but not exactly a trivial solution either and also involving use of sensitive capabilities.

I am thinking that the easier solution would come from Google, you should ask them if they can open a gate for your application.

Regular Contributor

How did you change user-agent in emulator? I don't know if the solution could be ask for google... I don't know if they will open a gate for my application if I don't pay for it...

I used an HTTP Filter plug-in to modify the headers of my outgoing traffic.

Regular Contributor

A ok. As you told me that you did it only in emulator... I also developed in the past a http filter plugin, using wiki example. I needed networkcontrol for FP1 devices, and All-TCB for MR devices (yes really!!!).

Of any way, I think that modify user-agent may not be the best solution...