Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

aml_1989's signing problem

Hi all!

Quick question:

I have carbide.c++ v1.2, all the right SDKs, perl etc, and N95 <nearly> on order.

Can I just confirm, that I can write a program to access gps, camera and e-mail, and when I compile this it will automatically have all the right certification?

Thanks,
    Andy.

Super Contributor

Re: S60 Signing and Certification

aml_1989,

Depends on your definition of automatic :-). The instructions here applied to Carbide.ui which is used to create themes which essentially needs no capabilities, hence the process is easily made automatic.

For Carbide.c++, when writing an application, you as a developer must correctly declare what capabilities your application needs and - based on the set of needed capabilities - ensure that you have the appropriate certificate for signing. Unfortunately this is not yet an automatic process as for Carbide.ui. http://www.forum.nokia.com/platformsecurity is a good place to start studying this.

Regular Contributor

Mitts,

That response time is worryingly impressive, I'll check it out!

Thanks,
    Andy

Regular Contributor

Hi again,

I've had a look at the link, and I cant make much sense out of it (I'm a beginner, be patient please).

Can someone tell me where I can get relevant certification stuff to cover e-mail, gps and camera, preferably avoiding registration or parting with any money.

Thanks,
    Andy.

Super Contributor

Well, the dev process is quite simple:

- Write your code
    - For each Symbian OS/S60 API, there is defined a capability that you need in order to access that API. The capability can be "none" (ie none needed) or one of about 20 named capabilities. The SDK Help will (mostly :-) contain the capability information, check out the Help file that comes with the SDK.
    - In the S60 project MMP file you "collect" all capabilities that are required under the CAPABILITIES keyword. E.g., if the API requires the ReadUserData capability and you have not yet added it to the CAPABILITIES keyword, add it, separated with a comma from the previous one. If it it already there, just keep on coding..
    - When all code is written, you look at the set of capabilities that you have collected. If you have none (the write NONE as the capability, not that this will happen with the APIs you listed) or what are called selfsign capabilities, you can sign the application with a certificate that is granted (read: created) by yourself. How to create the certificate is tools dependent, check eg Carbide.c++ or Carbide.vs Help for the details.
    - If you have collected even a single of the more demanding capabilities, you then (eventually) need to go to SymbianSigned.com to get your application signed
    OR
    - You can go back to your application and see if you can remove the API that requires the strong capability without sacrificing the application's functionality and you are back in "selfsign domain".
    For the full 9 yeards on the SymbianSigning, check out this "movie": http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._0_en.exe.html.

- Regardless of signing, you can test your app on the emulator and the emulator will also barf if you have omitted some capability from the .mmp file that you would have needed to add.

btw, a lot of nice "movies" (aka Screencasts) here: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/tech...urriculum.html , have fun!