Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Being notified upon taking photo

Hi,

I'd like to get a notification in my PyS60 program after the user has taken a photo with the S60 built-in camera application. Is that possible?

Since I'm from the Symbian world, I've checked it out if Symbian OS (+S60) provides a mechanism for that purpose. I found that Symbian Camera API does not give any support for an observer to get notification when another client of the camera takes a photo. Another approach I was thinking of is to observe file system directory changes, looking for such events that tell me if a new file was created in a given directory (since I know where the built-in Camera app saves data). That seemed to be a viable solution, however, I found no signs as to it being ported from Symbian to PyS60.

Does anyone know another alternative? Is anyone aware of aforementioned solutions being available for download? Or I'll have to write it myself ...

Thanks in advance,

Tote

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Being notified upon taking photo

Hello tote_b5 welcome to PyS60

Its really nice to see you in here.

Yes its true that Symbian Camera API does not give any support for an observer to get notification when a photo is clicked but you acn probably do it in the Pys60 code by Having to play a sound file after the code line to capture the image. for eg. flash sound (that is if you mean a sound notification)

Or the other method as you suggested is for checking the file structure specially the Image folder in which the camera stores the images.
    IMHO, I dont think any forementioned solutions exist for it as yet! You will have to write you own.

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Re: Being notified upon taking photo

Quote Originally Posted by tote_b5 View Post
    Another approach I was thinking of is to observe file system directory changes, looking for such events that tell me if a new file was created in a given directory - -. That seemed to be a viable solution, however, I found no signs as to it being ported from Symbian to PyS60.
    See if miso can help you:
    http://pdis.hiit.fi/pdis/download/mi...-1.40-api.html

notify_change(integer type, callable callback [, unicode pathname])

Asynchronously requests notification of changes either anywhere in the filesystem, or only in locations matching the optionally specified pathname (which may contain wildcards).
    And tell me if it worked, I haven't tried it yet.