Discussion Board

Provision VoIP settings over-the-air - how?

I know that this has been discussed in this forum, but I still don't have the answer.

I am looking for a very simple/cheap solution for provisioning SIP settings to S60 devices (eg. N95) over-the-air. I want a '1 touch' solution so that a message can be sent to a handset with ALL the required settings for it to be up and running with SIP-based VoIP (with no technical knowledge).

What's the best way of achieving this? Are there simple managed services out there for semi-technical people such as myself?

Help MUCH appreciated!

Will

Regular Contributor

Re: Provision VoIP settings over-the-air - how?

Hi Will,

You can create an application that creates necessary SIP settings needed by user. You can send the application along with mail or simply send a link from which this application can be downloaded.

This kind of SIP provisioning is provided by Truphone. They send TruInjector and a (.set) file. Users need to
    install the TruInjector and execute to create SIP Settings and Internet Telephony Setting.

Regards
    Rajat

So do I have to create a downloadable app in order to provision the settings? I don't have the skills to create a mobile app - though I could outsource.

The Truphone app annoyed me today - because it wouldn't uninstall once installed (though I did finally get it to disappear). All I am trying to get into the phone is the settings, so it's a pain to have to create an app.

From further research it looks like the settings can be provisioned OTA in an OMA defined way... I just don't know how!

Will

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi,

OTA provisioning is user friendy way to set SIP/VoIP settings into device. Forum nokia contains detailed documentation of the provisioning XML format.

Take a look at the: Client Provisioning Registration v1.8.It contains good examples of the correct XML format.

The only requirement for the SMS gateway provider is the support for OTA messages. This support means that the gateway will encode the XML-file into WBXML format and sends it via SMS to customers device.
    Last edited by juhanak; 2008-02-20 at 20:16.

Great - thanks for your reply.

For testing purposes can I just host the XML doc on a web server and access it from my mobile browser? I could then grapple with SMS delivery at a later date once I've proven the concept of automated settings provisioning.

Will

Hi,

to do that there are some pre requisites...
    Download the nowsms gateway from www.nowsms.com
    Configure a sms carrier that supports binary/ota messages. On my end I've configured a SMPP link to a sms provider. You could also use your own cell phone with a data cable if I'm correct (but didn't test it myself this way).
    Then you need to have some correct xml document that you need to copy paste in your webpage from your nowsms front end (normally http://localhost:8800), Select a user pin like "123". Your xml documents need to be correctly formatted (lots of documents on that on the nokia site) and applications w9010 and w9013 need to be configured. When you're this far and you can send OTA messages with the nowsms gateway, you will probably manage to get it up and running.

I think you can't use browser in provisioning.
    Take a look at the webinar: How To Provision Nokia VoIP Client

According to the presentation four provisioning methods are supported:
    -OMA Client provisioning
    -OMA Device Management
    -Manual
    -VoIP plugin

The latest webinar of VoIP includes one more provisioning method:
    VoIP overview on S60 platform

The presentation includes the latest provisioning method which is file provisioning. To use this method you need to create own application..

Hi,

it might be worth to check Local Client Provisioning plug-in for VoIP 2.x – it enables you to create SIP-based VoIP related settings from a file to a S60 device. By using this plugin, you can eliminate the need for OTA settings provisioning with SMS and include your own VoIP settings in an end user installable .sisx file.

Rgds,

R.