Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Set variables on first visit

Hello,

I have a menu that lets me change different variables. When one first enters the menu, I want to have the variables having specific default values already. Setting a few setvar-tags within the onevent type=onenterforward-tag won't work because the variables will then always get the default values.

A way to do it is maybe let the first card in the deck set the variables and then automatically move forward to the main-menu card within the same deck, but that would involve two task for one card, and I can't figure out how to do that. Help!

Best wishes,
    Minh.

Posted by Minh Nguyen, minhng@uclink.berkeley.edu
    on June 09, 2000 at 02:16

Super Contributor

RE: Set variables on first visit

Posted by Jaime Teng, jsteng@qinet.net
    on June 09, 2000 at 06:44

This would raise arguments, but here is our EXTENSIVELY RESEARCHED ANSWER:

1. SETVAR on WML does not work properly on 7110 phones. This means, it sometimes work, sometimes it does not. Some people claim their SETVAR pages works 100% of the time, however, we have extensively tested SETVAR on varying 7110 phone versions and concludes THEY DONT WORK PROPERLY ON ALL OCCATIONS AND ON ALL COMBINATIONS.

2. Use WMLScript's setvar to do the trick. You can take a look at the samples included on the toolkit 1.2 (re currency.wml) as a guide

3. if you can afford it, use newcontext="true" and in the input tags use value="something" to initialize them.

Frankly, thats how the millions of 7110 phone works.

Super Contributor

RE: Set variables on first visit

Posted by Minh Nguyen, minhng@uclink.berkeley.edu
    on June 09, 2000 at 21:46

Hi Jaime,

That's pretty bad for phones not to abide by the WML conventions. Wow, I would not have know. Thanks, I probably will use WMLscript to set my variables.

Best wishes,
    Minh.