Discussion Board

Question working fine on 3 rd edition but crashesh on 3 rd edition fp1(err KERN EXEC 3)

Hi friends,

I m silent user of this blog. i am working on symbian series 60 application.where i used codewarrier as IDE & S60 3 rd edition SDK.this application is security related where i used blowfish algorithm for providing password to application

if u set a password to the application & exit from application, next time when u open same application it will ask u for the password. if correct password is enter then it will take u to screen contaning listbox control.

since this application i built against 3 rd edition & it works fine, now i want my application running on 3 rd edition fp1 so that it will be supported to new phones like N95. i made all necessory changes it compiles & builds properly & exe is also working fine.

When password is not set at that time application works fine on 3rd edition fp1 but when i set a password application get locked & entering correct password it get crash by flashing error as KERN EXEC3

i have search a lot much inside a code basically my enterpassword screen & list box getting drawn correctly. but after it when all control get back to -E32Main it is getting crashed error comes from one dll may be euser.dll

what is the reason behind it & how i tackle this problem?

pls waiting for ur replies.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: working fine on 3 rd edition but crashesh on 3 rd edition fp1(err KERN EXEC 3)

Does the code work in the emulator (MR/FP1)?
    What happens if you compile the code with 3rd/MR, and deploy that build on the N95?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: working fine on 3 rd edition but crashesh on 3 rd edition fp1(err KERN EXEC 3)

About Kern-Exec 3
    This panic is raised when an unhandled exception occurs. Exceptions have many causes, but the most common are access violations caused, for example, by dereferencing NULL. Among other possible causes are: general protection faults, executing an invalid instruction, alignment checks, etc.

so this mostly seems like a problem with deferencing NULL or deleting an already deleted Item.
    1. A suggestion is that where ever you delete a member variable, assign it to NULL immedialtely.

now as wizard_hu said, try the old binary on N95... i always do that, until i want some specific Fp1 feature... this will make sure your binary works on most of the devices...

hope this helps !
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Exclamation Re: working fine on 3 rd edition but crashing on 3 rd edition fp1(err KERN EXEC 3)

Wizard_hu & Amit Kankani et all,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I think the problem may not be related to de-referencing of NULL or deleting an already deleted item because the application is working on 3rd Edition (both on device & simulator).

If the problem was due to de-referencing of a NULL pointer, then it should also have flagged an error in the 3rd edition but it works fine against the 3rd Edition.

The problem occurs when I try to run the same binary on a N95 (3rd Edition FP1 device).

Since the scenario is like -
    1. 3rd Edition binary works perfectly on the emulator & 3rd edition device.

2. 3rd Edition binary deployed on N95 device reports an error (KERN EXEC 3 error). Due to this issue, I decided to build the code against 3rd Edition FP 1 SDK since N95 device is a 3rd Edition FP 1 device.

3. 3rd Edition FP 1 binary throws up the same error on the FP1 emulator.

My guess is that the error is due to some inherent changes between the two OS editions (3rd edition & 3rd edition FP1) but I do not know which, what or why.

Could you please let me know the possibilities in terms of the differences between the two OS versions (3rd Edition & 3rd Edition FP1) that may be causing this error?

Please help.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: working fine on 3 rd edition but crashing on 3 rd edition fp1(err KERN EXEC 3)

Well in that case, as you said you are able to crash it on emulator (3rd FP1), then do this...

debug mode -> get the crash -> get the call stack, and see the immediate function of your code resulting in this error.

Also put the call stack here, and may be we could help ...
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion