Discussion Board

[moved] 3rd Party Application reading cookies

Hi,

I want to write a Symbian C++ Application that should read cookies of the native browser which I earlier set from my server.

Can anyone tell whether this is possible or not? If its possible,can you point me to the APIs.

Also one more small questions. Are cookies disabled by default in the native browser of Nokia Handsets ? Any idea ?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Regards,
    ~Tej

Re: 3rd Party Application reading cookies

Hi Tej,

Did you manage to find a solution?

I need to do exactly the same thing - read a cookie from the Nokia browser. It must be in a private file so I cannot read directly from the file.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? (Or even how can I share information between my 3rd party application and the browser?)

Thanks,
    Cyrus

Nokia Developer Moderator

Are you sure you need to read the cookie files? Why not read the HTTP headers directly?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Are you sure you need to read the cookie files? Why not read the HTTP headers directly?
    Thanks very much for the fast response ltomuta.

When you say "read the HTTP headers directly" are you implying that there is some way for a 3rd party application to "sniff" the HTTP messages going between the nokia browser and a web server?

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusp View Post
    When you say "read the HTTP headers directly" are you implying that there is some way for a 3rd party application to "sniff" the HTTP messages going between the nokia browser and a web server?
    Yes, this would be possible using the HTTP filter framework described, for example, here and here.

Quote Originally Posted by mgroeber9110 View Post
    Yes, this would be possible using the HTTP filter framework described, for example, here and here.
    Brilliant! That is exactly what I need. Thanks very much mgroeber9110.

Hi,

I have written a small HTTP filter to modify certain outgoing HTTP requests and it is working very well with the Nokia browser on my N95.

However, the filter is not working with the Opera mini browser. Does the opera browser bypass the HTTP filter framework? If not, then is there a way to force the Opera browser to load the filter?

I have using the option HTTP/+FILTER which I understand to mean that the client should always load the filter.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance,
    Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusp View Post
    However, the filter is not working with the Opera mini browser. Does the opera browser bypass the HTTP filter framework? If not, then is there a way to force the Opera browser to load the filter?
    I haven't really looked at Opera mini, but from what I understand, this is both a proxy-based and a J2ME browser - so chances are that it doesn't just bypass the HTTP filter framework, but the HTTP client altogether, and perhaps doesn't even use HTTP to talk back to its server.

For your specific use case, I wonder if the cookies it creates are even stored locally, or if they form part of the server-side state of the application. So it is probably one of the worst examples to try this technique on. ;-)

ciao marcus

Re: [moved] 3rd Party Application reading cookies

hello
    I have a similary problem, i have to set cookie in native browser, but i have no idea how to do it, any ideas?