Discussion Board

Step-by-step guide to creating a MIDP application?

Is there a step-by-step guide to creating a MIDP application anywhere? I use java 1.3.1 and Nokia Series 60 MIDP SDK Beta 0.1, no other development suite like JBuilder, but I really need some kind of step-by-step guide from .java to .class to .jad/.jar. Do you compile with the Nokia software somehow or do you use the standard Java compiler? And I can't find out how to put the compiled classes from the example applications in a .jar, I specify a directory, enter the required properties, but it doesn't seem to find any files to put in the .jar..

Regular Contributor

RE: Step-by-step guide to creating a MIDP application?

Hello,

Best way to learn to program MIDP applications is to buy a good book covering the subject. Some of the better ones are by Vartan Piroumian and John W. Muchow.

You need J2ME Wireless Toolkit (from java.sun.com) to compile MIDlets. Easiest way to develop MIDlets is to get an IDE, like the free Sun ONE Studio for Java, Micro Edition (from www.sun.com).

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia

RE: Step-by-step guide to creating a MIDP application?

Thanks, I just downloaded the free version of JBuilder Personal(+MobileSet) so I'll try my luck with that, if that doesn't work I'll try the Sun IDE!