Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbian Signed capabilities problem

Hello!

I'm writing this thread because it seems my problem cannot be solved other way... The problem is the following: I am struggling to get my application Symbian Signed for about 2 weeks now.

After some previous bad submissions from my side, a few days ago I made a mistake by not filling the capabilities declarative statement when I applied for signing. The application was rejected. Fine.

We were using the default granted capabilities set for the ACS publisher ID we are using: LocalServices, Location, NetworkServices, ProtServ, ReadDeviceData, ReadUserData, SurroundingsDD, SwEvent, UserEnvironment, WriteDeviceData, and WriteUserData

Me and my team spent 2 days to decrease the size of the list and to get reasons for each and every one of them. It was fairly easy, because CSendUi::CreateAndSendMessage(...) requires a big part of them. Adding Location API usage for the GPS, the list shortened easily: LocalServices, Location, NetworkServices, ReadDeviceData, ReadUserData, WriteDeviceData, and WriteUserData.

Good! I packed new deliveries and submitted them to the testing house via Symbian Signed portal. Finally, I was rejected again due to the following reason:

Application is rejected:
    This submission has failed the Symbian Checklist and will be cancelled with a 50 Euro fee. The following capabilities were found in a ‘SIS File Scan’ of the test application's .SIS file: LocalServices, Location, NetworkServices, ProtServ, ReadDeviceData, ReadUserData, SurroundingsDD, SwEvent, UserEnvironment, WriteDeviceData, and WriteUserData. The "ProtServ", "SurroundingsDD", "SwEvent", and "UserEnvironment" capabilities were not declared and explained in the submission's Declarative Statement section.
    Now where did this came from? The mmp file was cleared, the entire list of binaries was cleared from Symbian before the new build. I have no idea and I am simply stuck into this. I really need to put the application into market and I simply see no chance for it at the moment.

And most important, what is that ‘SIS File Scan’? Can you please indicate to me a link where I can get that application?

Thank you!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian Signed capabilities problem

Obviously Symbian Signed would be the entity that you should contact for clarifying this issue.

However, cold it be that your sis file packages some DLL(s) which actually has those capabilities while the exe (and thus the process at runtime) has/needs only those capabilities listed by you?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

Did you try signing it with a developer certificate with the same capabilities you mentioned in the mmp ??? then try installing on a device too...
    if this hasn't been tried yet, then going for symbian signing directly is a big mistake...

I guess if that works, then there should be something wrong somewhere...

However, you could also force capability checks in the emulator (Preferences after opening the emulator has the option to force capability checks and it will report any mismatch)...

hope this helps !
    Amit Kankani
    Nokia Developer Champion

Super Contributor

Try using DumpSis to extract the sis file and look at the resultant pkg file and its components.

This will list the capabilities the executables are using.
    It might be a capabiltity issue in a dll (i.e. you fogot to update the dll's mmp files)

I have also had issues where the toolchain has failed to rebuild the outputs correctly, so I recommend deleting the build folder and all the executables.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]