Discussion Board

Thread: Publisher ID

Publisher ID

Hello everybody,

for the time being I'm unable to receive my own Publisher ID. Can you suggest some companies which give opportunity to use their Publisher IDs to other developers who cannot buy their own Publisher ID?

Thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Publisher ID

Look for freeware submissions channel on Symbian Signed.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I don't mean that it should be free. I know that some companies offer their Publisher ID for payment.

Super Contributor

Highly risky - companies that will soon be barred from Symbian Signed if found out.

When the company obtained their publisher ID and registered with Symbian Signed they undertook to prevent exactly this type of behaviour due to the number of ways it could be abused.

From the terms of use:
    "You will only use Developer Certificates for your own development and testing purposes."
    and
    "where we reasonably consider that your entering into this Agreement is not due to a bona fide desire to submit Applications as part of Symbian Signed"

For what its worth I think this and one other way will be the new attack vectors on Symbian Signed.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

So, is it impossible to use Certified Signed option under smb. else's Publisher ID like Express Signed? Express Signed option "is available to all developers, either directly (for those who own a Publisher ID), or via publisher partners (for those who do not)".

Super Contributor

Correct.
    In the first case the company would certinaly be put in a very dubious legal position and liability issuing and signing applications that they do not own, control or can validate.
    In the second case you can use a company like (Flander Oy), who will sign your sis file (providing it passes the Symbian Signed tests) but the certificate will be under the Flander name, rather than yours.

I think you need to differentiate between generating a devcert which is designed to be a temporary measure on the journey to Symbian Signed, vs signing which is the destination.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]