Discussion Board

The death of Symbian

I open this thread to protest against the policy that Symbian is adopting against all small developers. I'm protesting against this signing process that is becoming more and more complex and finally also expensive. They introduced certification in symbian software in order to increase the safety of Smartphone. This is a great idea but at the end of the day it is a great excuse. If we think about what happens with web browser and certificates of web sites we understand what is wrong with symbian certification. During your browsing on the web you go in an encrypted web page, the browser check the site certification and if it is not valid it warns the user about what to do next, if continue browsing that page or not. What will happen if the browser doesn't allow you to watch that page? For Symbian this theory is not true: they steal you the right to install to your smartphone whatever you want: it's my phone!!!!! it's my code. This is an abuse!!!!!
    Symbian with this policy is cutting out all small developers that don't want pay for a publisher ID, that don't want to spend a lot of hours to let their programs passing symbian's test. It's unfair behaving in this way against who made your success. I believe that symbian and then nokia made their fortune thanks to all that small programs and tools that did the difference against the concurrence.
    But be careful linux is out of the corner.
    I invited all the symbian community to join me against this protest, posting their thoughts about what I’ve just said in order to change symbian’s strategy.

Regular Contributor

Re: The death of Symbian

Do you really think you are on the right board here?

Symbian with this policy is cutting out all small developers that don't want pay for a publisher ID,
    Are you a developer?

Maybe it's not the right board maybe there is no right board in this forum. I really don't know. If you do know I will place the thread wherever you tell me.
    To tell the truth about who I am I'll say I was a Symbian developer. I use past tense because today I can run my code only on the emulator. So I wasted a lot of time learning and studying symbian sdk and writing program code and today when I went on symbiansigned to get my cer file for my new phone they told me I couldn't get any more certifications till I've got a publisher ID.
    I hope I've satisfied your curiosity.
    Now let me ask you 3 simple questions:
    - Why people like you are so interesting in who he is and not in what he said?
    - What do you think about signing?
    - According to you who do you think I am if not a developer?

Peacefully.
    N.C.

Super Contributor

You can try to post your concern on Symbian Developer Network (http://developer.symbian.com/forum/forum.jspa?forumID=2). They have a section about Symbian Signed.

Personally, I agree with some of your points. I am a Symbian developer and have been hit by recent changes on the signing policy. If you visit the link above, you'll find many developers are frustrated. Try to raise your concern there and hopefully someone from Symbian will hear us.
    Antony Pranata
    http://www.antonypranata.com/
    http://www.s60tips.com/

Regular Contributor

I share your worries. There is a certain madness about the whole Symbian signed thing. It is also very easy to blame Symbian, though it is also very easy for any handset manufacturer to disable any of the platsec features.

For whatever reasons (mistake/evil genius) they have done what they have done. It is getting better s l o w l y.

I tear my hair out about some of it. But, what surprises me is that you assume you have this right to develop what you like on these handsets when it is obvious that someone who really does have the right to decide has decided you don't.

You do have the right to buy and develop for a different handset. The knowledge you have gained on Symbian won't be wasted. It is all just code.

When they make buying Symbian phones mandatory, like they are trying to do with smart-cards in the UK, then we have a civil liberties issue.