Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Open Signed Online & UID

Hello
    As you know there will be a new signing process called "Open Signed Online". On the SymbianSigned website is the following note: "Open Signed Online does not allow you to sign a SIS that uses a UID from the "Protected Range", unless the email address you use for Open Signed Online MATCHES the email address of the account which owns/created the UID."

My application currently uses a UID from the protected range because I submitted it once for signing it as freeware.

1. Now, do I have to recompile my application with a UID coming from the UNprotected range to make it publicly available for signing by other users?
    2. And: Can I also remove the pkg-line "..\certificates\FreewareWarningEN.txt"-"",FT that is used as freeware warning? Because SymbianSigned says: "SIS files that have been Open Signed will present a notification upon installation that the SIS file is intended for development purposes only."

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Open Signed Online & UID

Note that those are simple English sentences on the SymbianSigned website.
    1: two important aspects of signing are the fact it proves that someone has verified the application and allowed it to the given capabilities, this part comes from the Test Houses or - in case of devcert/open signing - you. The other important aspect is that signing provides a way to identify the creator of the application or some other "responsibility holder" (I have problems with English too...). This second aspect is mentioned in the quoted note: your e-mail address is the only available identification when you use open signed, thus SymbianSigned requires you to use the same - probably valid - e-mail address when you generate the .key file (with makekeys or some other tool). Then you can open-sign your application with UID(s) from the protected range.
    2: your current note is irrelevant (thus can be removed) from the open-signed point of view, since the open-signed-for-development-use-only notification is going to be forced by the SymbianSigned site.

You should also recognize that the purpose of this warning message is exactly against the release-use of open-signing (for freeware, commercial, anything).

Regular Contributor

O.k., but how shall I choose the UNPROTECTED UID? ...simply randomly out of the range 0x80000000-0xFFFFFFFF...?

I'm asking that because I reserved an unprotected UID at symbiansigned.com and tried to sign my application with a different e-mail address than that I'm currently using for my symbiansigned-account. Result: It doesn't work! Reason: There is no difference between using a protected or unprotected UID! Simply, if you use a differnt email address than the one you use at symbiansigned.com, it doesn't work...

Shall I simply compile my application with a random unprotected UID and distribute it on the WWW until someone else has reserved that specific UID?

Can someone help?

www.symbiansigned.com (this is a Web address)
    Login (this is an action, if you have no account, you should register)
    My Symbian Signed (this is a left-click)
    UIDs (this is a left-click)
    Request (this is a left-click)
    Unprotected Range (this is a left-click)
    [You can fill a form here, however it is partially filled, and the rest is optional]
    Submit (this is a left-click)

Regular Contributor

Hi wizard_hu_

That's exactly what I did, but if I'd like to offer my application to other users ("freeware"), that method doesn't work because the unprotected UID has to match the according email address, too...

Super Contributor

If you want to offer your application to other developers they contact you with their imei number.
    You goto Symbian Signed and sign it whereupon the signed sis file is delivered to you for that IMEI.

This allows you to control who has your application.

Devcerts are intended as a journey to Symbian Signed, not a destination.
    Ultimately you are required to either not use protected API's or to ensure you get your application freeware signed.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Regular Contributor

O.k., but I guess the first method you describe is not really legal

Does the "old" method with signing applications with a developer certificate still work? Until now I get there an error message:
    Open Signed Online and Offline for users without a Publisher ID will NOT be available temporarily, an update will be provided during Week beginning 25th Feb

Hope they will reactivate it soon because I think we are already in March...

Super Contributor

Actually I thought this was the update.

I believe that basically devcerts for people without publisher ids has been removed.

See "OPEN SIGNED ONLINE BETA AVAILABILITY" on http://www.symbiansigned.com

As I said, the onus is now on you to manage who gets your application, not have the end user manage their applications.
    If you do not want this hassle, get your application freeware signed, or if you want to sell it use a 3rd party publisher who does the Symbian signed tests and when passed will return the signed sis file to you.

Regular Contributor

Ahh, just found the answer. Signing an application with an unprotected UID "should" work. But at the moment it doesn't work...

See:
    http://developer.symbian.com/forum/t...24269&tstart=0
    ...and...
    http://developer.symbian.com/forum/t...threadID=24239

That means that any user can sign a freeware application that is compiled with an unprotected UID by using "Open Signed Online".

Quote: "...the developer should release a version using an unprotected UID instead, then anybody should be able to sign it using Open Signed Online."

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by patrickfrei View Post
    That means that any user can sign a freeware application that is compiled with an unprotected UID by using "Open Signed Online".

Quote: "...the developer should release a version using an unprotected UID instead, then anybody should be able to sign it using Open Signed Online."
    Please note that you are not quoting an official answer from Symbian but rather a developer's opinion.

To my understanding, Open Signed (offline or online) is not intended as a freeware release channel.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2008-03-04 at 14:05.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hmm o.k., but how shall freeware developers distribute an application to ordinary users?
    - Developer Certificate requests without Publisher ID don't work at Symbiansigned.com
    - Open Signed Online doesn't seem to be inteded as freeware release channel
    - Freeware signing at Symbiansigned.com takes a long time. E.g. I'm already waiting for more than 6 month to get my application signed...

What can I do else? Buying a certificate is too expensive for me as I don't want to sell my application...

What can I say ... If the only freeware signing channel is not working then pressure should be put on Symbian Signed to solve that problem. Any other "workaround" damages both Symbian Signed and the developers.

I will consult my colleagues and see what Forum Nokia can do about this.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

@Itomuta:
    I wanted to tell you that freeware applications can be signed via Symbian's Open Signed Online. The only thing you have to do as developer is to change the UID to one in the range 0xExxxxxxx (Development use only). If you have the source code you can change it by yourself.

There are already numerous freeware applications available that can be signed now via Open Signed Online. E.g. PhoNetInfo version 1.8.1.

"Can" does not equal "should", nor does it equal "may". All my comments here and in the other thread stand valid.

One should not release software to the end-users relaying on the Open Signed Online process.
    -- Lucian