Discussion Board

RSocket problem (N95 & Windows XP)

I try to create client-server software, where N95 (client) connects to the laptop (server) via WLAN (ad-hoc). Laptop assigns IP address dynamically.

The problem is that creating the connection takes quite a long time i.e. until laptop has valid IP address (about 30 seconds). The RSocket::Connect() (active method) call fails because of this? What I have tried is based very closely of the examples of the previous and current examples of Nokia.

I have tried to find a solution how to monitor the connection status and notice when all the negotiation and dynamic IP address assignments are done but I have not found working solution. Only way I am able to get this work is to first wait until the laptop has everything ready and then call manually RSocket::Connect() method, but this is not very good approach at the end.

So, any help? Is it possible to monitor to connection as far I would like to or how to solve long delay before I can call RSocket::Connect() method? Is only way to use static IP address on the laptop (again, not good thing in my case).

[EDIT:] I forgot to wrote that RSocket::Connect() status returns -191. Also the code works fine in emulator (i.e. all the connections are made as should).
    Last edited by mhakkara; 2008-03-03 at 21:18.

Re: RSocket problem (N95 & Windows XP)

Hi,
    first -191 means KErrHostUnreach(Unable to reach server).It might be because of unable to find specified server by client.

Some time ago I was trying the same as you are doing, and gone through same case. But I was using GPRS network instead of WLAN. Code was working fine on emulator but not on device. But at the end I found that it was Service provider's problem. As I changed SIM card and used different service provider (and obviously different IAP) my client was working fine. In both situations there was some delay while connecting to server ( as you said 30 sec, I did not checked it).

So if possible try to use different service provider and check what happen.

Regular Contributor

Hi
    you can try to do
    this via active objects

I mean in CActive::Run if you get error
    just try to connect again

Quote Originally Posted by sashaslonmailer View Post
    Hi
    you can try to do
    this via active objects

I mean in CActive::Run if you get error
    just try to connect again
    I do have an active object and the solution I did is just trying several times to create socket connection (connect). Basically if I am not able to find the server in one minute, I give up. Not very sophisticated but, well, it works now.