Discussion Board

Teaching Symbian C++ and SymbianSigned

Dear all,

We are currently teaching a class on mobile programming (http://design.epfl.ch/studio) at EPFL in Switzerland and we are really keen on exposing students to running their code on real phones. For this reason we chose the S60 platform.

We recently acquired 10 Nokia E51 but since we don't have a Publisher ID, we are dependent on Open Signed to get back in order (the site is currently down for maintenance).

Does anyone have suggestions for how to get around this?
    Are there any options for getting a free Publisher ID As a university?

We are in a hurry because the semester already started and we are "loosing" lab sessions.

Any pointers are welcome.

Thank you and best regards,
    Enrico Costanza and Julien Nembrini
    EPFL Media and Design Lab

Regular Contributor

Re: Teaching Symbian C++ and SymbianSigned

Hello;
    As long as you don't want to use any interesting APIs you can use self signing. (you create a key-cert pair and it is basically untrusted. Look it up in the SDK) There is plenty of code you can run like this.

Other than that, you don't have much choice really, if you don't want to spend any money.

Nokia "could" give you a development ROM with platsec disabled, but I doubt they will. You could try a begging letter. I think they would like that.
    Last edited by nigel.brown; 2008-03-04 at 09:41. Reason: typo

Nokia Developer Moderator

I wouldn't go saying that as a university you have money for 10 smartphones but not for a Publisher ID.

Anyway, the Publisher IDs are issued by TC TrustCenter GmbH, you should contact them for a sponsorship.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks for your replies.

I would like to ask for two clarifications:

1 - We use real phones because we want to be able to let the students experiment with operations like Bluetooth scans, getting cell id, real-time computer vision on images acquired from the camera, etc.. so my understanding is that signing is necessary -- is this correct?

2 - To be able to use "Open Signed Offline" (essentially like we did up to few months ago, when symbiansigned changed) is it enough that we pay $200 per year to get a "Publisher ID" from www.trustcenter.de ? In other words, if we pay $200 per year, will we be able to create up to 20 certificates for 20 different phones with which we will then be able to sign all the application prototypes that we want?

Thanks,
    Enrico

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ecostanza View Post
    Thanks for your replies.

I would like to ask for two clarifications:

1 - We use real phones because we want to be able to let the students experiment with operations like Bluetooth scans, getting cell id, real-time computer vision on images acquired from the camera, etc.. so my understanding is that signing is necessary -- is this correct?
    Signing is required for all applications on S60 3rd Edition (Symbian OS 9.x). Certification is required however only for those applications that are using capabilities that are not user grantable. Alternatively you can use self-signing.

In this sense there are no such things as "not real" phones.

2 - To be able to use "Open Signed Offline" (essentially like we did up to few months ago, when symbiansigned changed) is it enough that we pay $200 per year to get a "Publisher ID" from www.trustcenter.de ? In other words, if we pay $200 per year, will we be able to create up to 20 certificates for 20 different phones with which we will then be able to sign all the application prototypes that we want?
    You can create one certificate or one thousand and each certificate can be bound to one or many IMEIs.
    E.g. we use one certificate for all the phones that our team has access to.

Thanks,
    Enrico
    You are welcome.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Smile Re: Teaching Symbian C++ and SymbianSigned

Thanks again, and thanks to this other thread.

It was not clear to us that the capabilities we want to use do not require any certificate and can be obtained through self-signing.
    As I mentioned on the other thread, I think this information could be made more evident.

Best,
    Enrico