Discussion Board

Hybrid View

N78 - with or without auto rotate sensor?

Hi everyone,

the new N78 looks like a champ for my needs (FP2, like hearing music, fm transmitter is nice, GPS, Wifi, Naviwheel, candybar design)

But one sensor is very important for me: a g-force/tilt/acceleration sensor like in N82. I want to program something like 'driftbox' (www.driftbox.com).

But I don't find any real true answer if there is a (secret?) rotation sensor in N78.

So I thought I ask the experts. If there is no rotation sensor: can I hope for a N78i with this sensor?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Bye

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: N78 - with or without auto rotate sensor?

If you want to develop software around such sensor then maybe a better question would be "is there an API that can be used?".

Let's wait until the SDK is released and see what it offers. As for the actual availability of the sensor in the hardware I do not have exact info now but I will ask for this to be added to the device specifications.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Ok, thank you a lot! It's nice to ask if the N78 does have the sensor or if it's planned in an updated version of a N78i.

But there should be an API now. For now I know, I could use Python to program this sensor on the N82 or N95. As I have done only some private Python scripts (send sms, manage contacts & calendar) with my feature limited E61, a driftbox-alike could really useful for me (and others).

I know I can buy a N82 now, use the sensor on N82, but I don't want spend so much money to an little aged FP1 and it looks like the Navi Wheel on the N78 will be a personal fave for using the N78 phone as a phone, music player and PDA
    Last edited by sledgehammer89; 2008-03-06 at 02:44.

There is a relevant note on the Sensor API's wiki page, do have a look.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

It doesn't notes N96 (and N78), because these phones don't be released by now. I understand that not every S60 phone supports Sensor API when there is no sensor included.

And that's the reason why I ask if the N78 includes an acceleration sensor, because the N78 featureset fills perfectly my other usual usage of a 'phone'.

The note says that there is no S60 Platform API that can be used for accessing the sensor(s). The existing API is device specific and while it works with some devices it might fail on others.

So currently you have 3 problems:
    - does the phone have sensor ?
    - will the sensor work with the existing API?
    - will the SDK include a platform level sensor API?
    -- Lucian