Discussion Board

Is there a way to share workspace in carbide?

Hi,
    I have three projects in same workspace. I like to export the workspace and share the same(settings, preferences, dependencies) to different people?

Can someone tell me the best way to export the workspace. Note: We dont have the CVS and we have a common place to store the project. I dont like to ask all the users to export all the projects and set the compilation dependencies. Is there a faclity similar to solution file (workspace info) which Visual studio 2005 creates.

I dont see a way in my carbide to export workspace without having CVS. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    santhosh.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Is there a way to share workspace in carbide?

Generally speaking you should be able to just copy the entire workspace contents and let someone else open them, assuming all your project sources are in the workspace and everyone is using the same Carbide version.

Then you all need the same SDK 'id' (as defined in the SDK Prefrences) so the build configurations can match up, otherwise you will have to remap those.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timm-ah View Post
    Generally speaking you should be able to just copy the entire workspace contents and let someone else open them, assuming all your project sources are in the workspace and everyone is using the same Carbide version.

Then you all need the same SDK 'id' (as defined in the SDK Prefrences) so the build configurations can match up, otherwise you will have to remap those.

Tim
    Can you elabarote more on this?
    - Where do carbide store project dependencies, preferences, etc information? (what are the major files related to workspace). I dont want to store intermediate generated files in the common place?
    - Assume if all the people has same SDK's, but copy the share into their local machines - does it work - I mean does the path make any difference?

Thanks
    santhosh

Nokia Developer Expert

The bld.inf file is the key, and that is stored as a relative path.
    Info on the .project and .cproject are in the documentation, but basically they store all the project specific settings. Most of the global settings and indexer/editor settings are stored under the .metadata folder in the worksspace.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timm-ah View Post
    The bld.inf file is the key, and that is stored as a relative path.
    When I keep multiple mmp's in bld.inf and import, carbide shows all my projects under one commmon project in carbide. What i want is when I import bld.inf with three .mmp's, carbide should show three differnt projects in carbide than one project. and ofcourse with all the dependency information.

Thanks Tim for yours answers.

Thanks
    santhosh.

Nokia Developer Expert

[QUOTE=santhosh1980;393760] carbide should show three differnt projects in carbide than one project. and ofcourse with all the dependency information.
    QUOTE]

That's what the Symbian Project Navigator View is for.

Tim