Discussion Board

Question Can we import a self CA for install app?

First sorry about my English.

Is CA(that can accept install symbian app) on the phone fixed(cannot add/del)? I just trying to import a CA.cer, it just can accept 3 options and no "Symbian Installation" can set Yes.

Can we make a personal-CA(that can accept symbian installation)and then import my phone, make a CSR by DevRequestTool and sign the csr by personal-CA, so that we can use the .cer to sign our app and install on phone. Is it possible?
    Last edited by fishman8; 2008-03-08 at 17:00.
    [.>FishM@N<.]-Fishman

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Can we import a self CA for install app?

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of application signing?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of application signing?
    Maybe, but why I cannot install app signed by self-CA that must import into the pohne first ?

The SymbianSignedWeb pissed me off, why I cannot reqeust a DevCert without a Publisher ID for On-device debug testing? I posted the question in the forum of SDN , but nobody symbian staff can give us a exactly answer (request a DevCert without Publisher ID), I think it is no good, no responsibile.

So.. Is it not possible to import a self-CA which can allow symbian installation ? Maybe I should pray for my academic research project.
    [.>FishM@N<.]-Fishman

Devcerts are no longer available unless you have a Publisher ID. For this you have to thank to our fellow developers which have been releasing unsigned applications.

No, you cannot install a root certificate. You can self-sign your application (if you use just the user-grantable capabilities) or use the Open Signed Online process.

Also, the university where you're studying may apply for a PublisherID and let you use it for obtaining a devcert.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

As Lucian said, what would be the point of Symbian Signed and Application security if everyone could just remove it? Sorry but you are going to have to work with it, not try to get round it.

Anyway use a UID from the 0xExxxxxxx range. However as a university student I would expect the facalty could afford a $200 publisher ID if you just spent $1800 on a pro version of carbide.c++ and $400 on a phone.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Regular Contributor

From philosophical point of view, if Symbian retain partial ownership of your device, it should partially pay for it. Like lower cost at 30% if they retain control of 30% capabilities.

From a philosophical point of view the phones are sold as whole units, fully functional, to end-users who obviously judge them at their market value.

The limitation you see is affecting the developers only but they are well informed of these limitations and constraints even before buying. In fact, as a developer, you can access phone's complete functionality under well defined access criteria. If you cannot meet the criteria it is entirely another problem.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

Well, end user who are trying to use Symbian phones as smartphone are definitely unhappy with situation and very vocal about it (you can check symbian forum, it's flooded with complaints) I myself not much concerned with situation as I quit Symbian development some times ago. Was just checking in to see if it become any better.