Discussion Board

creating theme without carbide ui

I am looking to create themes without the use of the carbide ui pc interface, I have tried to do this using the tools in the "Eclipse\plugins\com.nokia.tools.packaging_1.0.0\runtime\win32" folder but im not getting very far.

The reason im looking to do this is so that I can create a web interface for people to create themes online via a website, I have seen a few web sites that are doing this already but there just isnt any information out there for me to do it.

The main problem seems to be the creation of ".skn" files and no mater how hard I look on the web and on the nokia site I just cant find any information about this at all.

can someone please point me in the right direction for this.

any help would be much appriciated

Super Contributor

Re: creating theme without carbide ui

None of the underlying tools are intended to be used by themselves so at least from Nokia you will not find information on those.

I know that the carbide ui is just an interface, when you start to design a theme in there is stores the files in a workarea folder, when you actualy go ahead and create the sis file it then calls the tools found int the folder I mentioned above to create the theme from the files found in the workarea folder.

From what I have been told and from what I understand the carbide ui does not actualy create anything, it simply calls the tools in that folder listed above in a particular order etc, the carbide ui is just a java interface, the tools in that folder do all the work in creating the theme.

what im looking for is the order in which things are done so that I could do it without the use of carbide ui, for example if I have a folder with all the files for a theme (icons, images etc) then I could actualy createt he theme by using the tools directly in the "Eclipse\plugins\com.nokia.tools.packaging_1.0.0\runtime\win32" folder, but I need to know in what order they are called, and examples of how to call them.

the tools are command line based tools so all I need is to know how to call them and in what order.

hope you can help with that

regards

ok first I must say the lack of info regarding this is shocking, however I have persisted and have managed to do a lot/most of the finding out myself, heres what I have so far (working by the way)

I copied all files from a "packagingOutput" foldr for a theme in my workarea to a foldr of its own, I removed the mbm, skn, sis, mif, pkg and *MIFList.txt files from that temp folder so that only the svg files and a single "themepackage.txt" remained.

I then (hit and miss) tried a combination of the tools fund in "Eclipse\plugins\com.nokia.tools.packaging_1.0.0\runtime\win32" to find out the order needed to create a working theme from the files remaining AND I FINALY DID IT, the created theme works 100% on my phone (using it now).

I do however have one more thing I would like to clear up, when I created the .mif file its size was 4.40mb however the original .mif file from the folder I copied the files from was only 2.18mb in size?

I then ran carbide ui and created the original theme again and did a crtl+alt+del to see the task mamanged to see what was happening and noticed that SVGTBINENCODE.exe was being called.

I then ran SVGTBINENCODE.exe myself from the command prompt and tested it on a single svg file and found the file was converted from test.svg (7.23kb) to test.svgb (3.41) so im guessing its some form of compression engine.

however I cannot see any options for "SVGTBINENCODE.exe" to compress all the files and add them to the mif? it apears to be a 1 file at a time app, so my question is does anyone know how to use this app on multiple files?

now dont get me wrong the final theme.sis works just fine in my phone, and the final theme.sis file is actualy smaller than the one cabide ui created (go figure) but I would like to know why I should use the "SVGTBINENCODE.exe" file and how best to use it.

any info would be great on this please

regards

Nokia Developer Champion

can any one tell me how can I create Nokia Themes using Windows Command Prompt, without using carbide.ui.