Discussion Board

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Expert

Widget Code Camps - Talk to the Guru

In case you haven't seen the schedule, there will be Widget Code Camps in Singapore and Bangalore.

Update: schedules for Americas and China are now online.

In case you can't make the camps, we've got the next best thing. Web Runtime, and S60 widgets that run under WRT let you use your existing knowledge of Ajax, Javascript, CSS, and HTML to build focused, mobile-ready widgets. There are of course a few twists you need to learn for the mobile environment, and maybe your web development skills may be a little rusty.

So we have prepared an online opportunity for you to get up to speed quickly.

• Check out the new eLearning module.
    • Install the S60 FP2 SDK. The emulator supports WRT.
    • You can also test Widgets using Remote Device Access.
    • Talk to a Guru. Once you get started, plan to come back here and discuss your progress and problems with a guru, just like you would if you were in a code camp. We have two Talk to the Guru sessions planned, one for APAC time zone and one for Europe and Americas. Subscribe to this thread for updates on times and a background on the gurus.
    Last edited by kevin_s2f; 2008-03-13 at 21:32. Reason: Americas and China schedule added

Nokia Developer Expert

Exclamation Talk to the Guru Schedule - APAC time zone

Zheng Zheng from Nangyang Ploytechnic will be joining us online before next week's WRT Code Camp in Singapore.

Please join her on Monday, March 24, at 15:00 for a great discussion of her experience with WRT.

You can read some background Nangyang's experience here.

Nokia Developer Expert

Talk to the Guru Schedule - Euro and Americas

Members of the Forum Nokia PRO, Launchpad, and Champion communities will meet in Las Vegas on March 31 for some great technical training, including some work on WRT.

If you can't make it to Vegas, we've got a deal for you.

Come back here on April 1, 9:00 AM California time.

Update: I got the UK time wrong in an earlier post. This happens at 17:00 UK time.

Wai Seto, the Forum Nokia Architect teaching WRT in Vegas, will join us.

Joining Wai will be Kelvin Chong, Chief Architect for Plusmo, a Forum Nokia PRO company building a business around mobile widgets. Kelvin probably has more commercial experience with S60 widgets than just about anbody else on the planet.

So, check out the new eLearning module

Download the Feature Pack 2 SDK

Then bring your questions back here on April 1.
    Last edited by kevin_s2f; 2008-04-01 at 00:26. Reason: corrected UK Time

Regular Contributor

Re: Widget Code Camps - Talk to the Guru

Hello there,

I am Zhen Zhen, from Nanyang Polytechinic. I will be participating in this discussion board. Free free to come online to discuss or ask any u might have on widgets development or the WRT. I will try my best to assist you.

Nokia Developer Moderator

This is Wai Seto. I have been with Nokia for 8+ years now and have worked on S60 products from the beginning. WRT is a new and exciting new runtime Nokia has put into the S60 platform. It will enable the web developer community to bring their work to S60 devices. This is exciting for Nokia, web developers and consumers. I am glad I have the chance to chat with you online!

Cheers!

Hi,

Can I find out which handset will support WRT?
    So far, I've only tried out Widget on FP2, and not on real handsets.

Also, for older handsets, will there be any clients that can be installed to support WRT?

----------------
    As a side track, before actually trying out widgets, just thru reading the brochureware, I tot widgets was to allow developers to create 'desktop' applications. i.e. applications that appeared on the screen of the phones, similar to the concept of Yahoo widgets, for example.

But after trying, Widgets in Nokia's sense, is to create applications on phone similar to creating Java apps. Maybe it's a marketing issue, or maybe I've just got it wrong, but widgets already have a industrial concept in the PC world, why muddle-up the concept again?

Also, while creating widgets is "simpler", I wonder about the worth of having another method of creating applications beside Java, Symbian and the multitude of languages out there...

Just a tot.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by louischua View Post
    Hi,

Can I find out which handset will support WRT?
    So far, I've only tried out Widget on FP2, and not on real handsets.

Also, for older handsets, will there be any clients that can be installed to support WRT?

----------------
    As a side track, before actually trying out widgets, just thru reading the brochureware, I tot widgets was to allow developers to create 'desktop' applications. i.e. applications that appeared on the screen of the phones, similar to the concept of Yahoo widgets, for example.

But after trying, Widgets in Nokia's sense, is to create applications on phone similar to creating Java apps. Maybe it's a marketing issue, or maybe I've just got it wrong, but widgets already have a industrial concept in the PC world, why muddle-up the concept again?

Also, while creating widgets is "simpler", I wonder about the worth of having another method of creating applications beside Java, Symbian and the multitude of languages out there...

Just a tot.
    Hi,
    Supporting handsets will be those running S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2, upcoming models are: N96, N78, 6210 Navigator, and 6220 Classic.

Unfortunately, there's no "pack" to install to make older handsets support WRT.

I guess the concept of widgets are still similar to desktop pc concept. They're like standalone "subsets/functions" of much larger web-based applications, and while they may look and feel like a mobile application, they're not true mobile "applications" like java and/or S60 applications. They can be a simple "interface" to full web-based applications.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
    Valerie / Forum Nokia

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by taiwerns View Post
    Hi,
    Supporting handsets will be those running S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2, upcoming models are: N96, N78, 6210 Navigator, and 6220 Classic.

Unfortunately, there's no "pack" to install to make older handsets support WRT.

I guess the concept of widgets are still similar to desktop pc concept. They're like standalone "subsets/functions" of much larger web-based applications, and while they may look and feel like a mobile application, they're not true mobile "applications" like java and/or S60 applications. They can be a simple "interface" to full web-based applications.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
    Valerie / Forum Nokia
    Great to hear that there is more and more Nokia Phone supporting WRT. Currently, there is only N95 8GB that we can use to test and run widget.

I think widgets can open up to more developers to develop applications for Nokia phones, as widgets are easier to develop, and requires only knowledge of html,css and javascript, The development effort is alot shorter and easier than using java or symbian.

For a developer who is new to Web widget development, can you make any recommendation on tools they can use?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rebloor View Post
    For a developer who is new to Web widget development, can you make any recommendation on tools they can use?

To develop a widget, you can use any text editing software that support ANSI to edit your HTML, CSS or javascript codes.

For debugging your widget, you can use FireBug, which is a plug in for Mozilla Firefox. It can highlight to you which potion of your codes went wrong.

Can I reuse my Web graphics in a Web widget or do I need to develop graphics specifically for my widgets?

Regular Contributor

Hi All,
    I am new to Widget Developement. I am mostly into J2ME Technology. I like to step into widget development. Could you please clarify some of my doubts.
    1. I have read that HTML, CSS can be used. Is there any combilation required. How it works.
    2. Is this widget works only on Nokia phones. What is its reachability.

Thanks & Regards,
    Senthil

hi all, i like to know what can’t be done with a Web widget that I could do on a Web page?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by vinlws View Post
    Can I reuse my Web graphics in a Web widget or do I need to develop graphics specifically for my widgets?

Widgets do not require u to develop graphics specifically for it. The graphics that u use for ur web can be used for widgets too. However, due to the screen size of the mobile phone, which is different from a desktop computer, u might need to resize it to make it looks good on the mobile phone.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by senthil_k View Post
    Hi All,
    I am new to Widget Developement. I am mostly into J2ME Technology. I like to step into widget development. Could you please clarify some of my doubts.
    1. I have read that HTML, CSS can be used. Is there any combilation required. How it works.
    2. Is this widget works only on Nokia phones. What is its reachability.

Thanks & Regards,
    Senthil

Hi Senthil,

Welcome to widget development.

1) Widget uses HTML, CSS and javascript and they do not require any compilation. You can run them straight with a web browser.

2) Currently, only Nokia phones support WRT. Nokia is opening more and more phones to support WRT, and we can have widgets running on more Nokia phones in the near future.