Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

.prt and .esk file on device

hello,

has anybody any experience in installing Protocol modules (.prt) and their associated .esk file .
    when I try to install the exadump example and add its .esk file the installation fails.
    here is the line in my package file:
    "ip.exadump.esk" -"c:\private\101f7989\esock\ip.exadump.esk" where I used 101f7989 as the secureUID

thanks in advance
    Jean-philippe
    jean-philippe

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: .prt and .esk file on device

How does it fail? You may get some ideas from http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...roubleshooting

Regular Contributor

Hello,

thanks for your reply
    I get the "unable to install" message. half of teh install is done and I suspect that this happens when I try to install the .esk file.
    I have read the IP hook_HowTo document which says:
    On Target device:
    Z:\private\101F7989\ESock\
    Here, 101F7989 indicates the SID (Secured IDentifier).

this cannot be the target for new .esk as z references the ROM

I have tried various options with different secureID but mainly re-using the UID3 but the real problem is that I don't know where to put the .esk file.

Have a nice day
    Jean-philippe
    jean-philippe

I do not know this document, neither IP hooks, but generally you cannot deploy files directly to the private folder of an other application (101f7989). You can try if 'import' folder is supported and/or read the doc once more and check if it says anything about installation, maybe it suggest using patch, or something. It is not sure that you can install such kind of extension at all.
    Note that you cannot just re-use the secureid of an already existing application, especially not with arbitrary (say self) signing.

Regular Contributor

My initial problem is to find a tool that can take traces on the handset at the IP level so that it can be formatted by ethereal.

the IP Hook APIs are part of the Symbian binary dev kit. they are well designed for that task. Maybe I cannot use them if I am not a handset provider.

Jean-philippe
    jean-philippe

Probably "HOWTO install an esock protocol after market.doc" is the document you need. AFAIR it's not included in the BAK. Assuming you're a partner, ask your symbian contact to see how to obtain it (in case there is a way)

Regular Contributor

thanks you were right. there is a special procedure to install .esk file that I was able to guess from previous thread on teh discussion boards. Now the two sis can be installed and I can get traces from the handset which is very precious for data exchange debugging. thanks to the Symbian binary kit

I got one boot hang that the safe mode but the factory reset solved my problem could not solve that is why now, my prt is installed on the memory card.
    jean-philippe

Quote Originally Posted by jcaradec View Post
    thanks you were right. there is a special procedure to install .esk file that I was able to guess from previous thread on teh discussion boards.
    Hi jcaradec,

Could you share how this is done? I've not had any luck guessing how the .pkg file should look for installing a .esk

Thanks,
    Mark

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by maiken2 View Post
    Hi jcaradec,

Could you share how this is done? I've not had any luck guessing how the .pkg file should look for installing a .esk

Thanks,
    Mark
    Hi, Mark
    you should create package with package type SISPATCH.
    somethink like this:
    #{"Your app name"},(0x101F7989),1,0,0,TYPE=SP

PushL has already named the document you should follow. If you do not have it, you are probably not a partner of Symbian, and you are not entitled to install your .esk file.

Regular Contributor

By the way, does anybody know how to find Process or Thread Id of the client in IpV6Hook API? I need find the sender of the outgoing package

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    PushL has already named the document you should follow. If you do not have it, you are probably not a partner of Symbian, and you are not entitled to install your .esk file.
    wizard_hu - glad you are here protecting these special apis and making sure only the right people have access to information.

Seriously, Symbian do not protect their APIs via anonymous forum posters asking developers not to help each other.

Firstly, BAK is needed to develop in this area so one must be a partner just to debug code.

Further, the devcert and Symbian Signing process insures Symbian know exactly who is doing what.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Y View Post
    By the way, does anybody know how to find Process or Thread Id of the client in IpV6Hook API? I need find the sender of the outgoing package
    Not specifically but using Y-Tasks Processes you can see all the threads (and some info on each) associated with the c32exe.exe process.

Mark

Regular Contributor

Further, the devcert and Symbian Signing process insures Symbian know exactly who is doing what.

Mark
    Hi, Mark
    I agree with you, this argument is quite ponderable

Not specifically but using Y-Tasks Processes you can see all the threads (and some info on each) associated with the c32exe.exe process.

Mark
    Thank you for idea, i'll find Y-Tasks and check it

Regular Contributor

Mark
    This tool can show all threads of c32exe, but i need to find what process is trying to send an outgoing packet. Do you know how to find it using Iphook?