Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OMA Client Provisioning - Assistance required with XML Document (Beginner)

Hi

I am setting up OMA Client Provisioning for our SyncML Server. I have compiled an XML Document, but am not sure if I have done so correctly. (An initial test using NowSMS failed with no message received on the mobile phone.)

More specifically, I have the following questions / doubts:

=> I am unsure of the required values for the 'RESOURCE' characteristics for contacts and calendar etc (see my XML code below).

=> How device-specific is the XML Document? Can I use one XML document for all or most phones?

=> Being a beginner in this area, can anyone point me to some helpful documentation / tutorials - aside form the OMA Specs?!

I have included a copy of the XML Code below. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Pete

PS: I am testing with a Nokia 6230i - the phone can successfully received OMA Client Provisioning Messages.

XML Document

Code:
    <wap-provisioningdoc>

<characteristic type="BOOTSTRAP">
            <parm name="NAME" value="jany2"/>
        </characteristic>

<characteristic type="APPLICATION">

<parm name="APPID" value="w5"/>
            <parm name="TO-NAPID" value="INTERNET"/>
            <parm name="NAME" value="jany2"/>
            <parm name="ADDR" value="http://usa6.blackhatmedia.com/funambol/ds"/>

<characteristic type="APPAUTH">
                <parm name="AAUTHNAME" value="Ronaldo"/>
                <parm name="AAUTHSECRET" value="password"/>
            </characteristic>

<characteristic type="RESOURCE">
                <parm name="URI" value="card"/>
                <parm name="AACCEPT" value="text/x-vcard,text/vcard"/>
            </characteristic>

<parm name="URI" value="cal"/>
                <parm name="AACCEPT" value="text/x-vcalendar,text/vcal"/>
            </characteristic>       

</characteristic>
    </wap-provisioningdoc>

Nokia Developer Champion
    Looks good to me. Does this or this (Documents » OMA Client Provisioning » Series 40) or this (‘Device Management’ documents contain OMA CP examples) help?

Re: OMA Client Provisioning - Assistance required with XML Document (Beginner)

Hi Traud

Many thanks for your feedback - the links you provided were useful, albeit similar to the resources that I have looked at previously.

I think my main question pertains to the required syntax for the contacts and calendar databases. Most of the Nokia samples use this syntax:

Code:
        <parm name="URI" value="./Contacts"/>
        <parm name="NAME" value="Contact DB"/>
        <parm name="AAUTHTYPE" value="DIGEST"/>
        <parm name="AAUTHNAME" value="databasename"/>
        <parm name="AAUTHSECRET" value="databasesecret"/>
      </characteristic>
        <parm name="URI" value="./Calendar"/>
        <parm name="NAME" value="Calendar DB"/>
      </characteristic>
    However, the Sony Ericsson samples I encountered use this type of syntax:

Sample 1:

Code:
    			<parm name="NAME" value="Contacts DB"/> 
    			<parm name="URI" value="card"/>
    		</characteristic>

<parm name="NAME" value="Calendar DB"/>
    		</characteristic>
    Sample 2:

Code:
       <parm name="URI" value="pb"/>
       <parm name="AACCEPT" value="text/x-vcard;2.1,text/vcard;3.0"/>
       <parm name="AAUTHNAME" value="pb"/>
       <parm name="AAUTHSECRET" value="bp"/>
      </characteristic>
       <parm name="AACCEPT" value="text/x-vcalendar,text/vcalendar"/>
       <parm name="AAUTHNAME" value="cal"/>
       <parm name="AAUTHSECRET" value="lac"/>
      </characteristic>
    Also, when I key in the values on my phone manually (a Nokia 6230i), I use 'card' and 'cal' as the respective values for the Contacts and Calendar databases.

I will fire off a series of tests over the next couple of days. However, since the mobile phone provides no feedback or error reporting, it would be nice to know that I have got the right XML markup. I can then work on the WBXML encoding without worrying about this extra variable.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Pete

Nokia Developer Champion
    The path (URI) is determined by your server configuration.Do not get your question, could you please ask it?

My question is this:

I do not know of any URI for the contacts database. When I configure the sync settings manually on my phone, I simply supply 'card' as the value for the Contacts 'Database Address'.

Does this mean I do the same for the URI element in the XML?

For some reason, most (but not all) of the samples use the value "./Contacts" for the URI element.

Perhaps I have missed something here - I can understand that the sync server has a URI, but I do not understand what is meant by the URI for the contacts database?!

Thanks
    Pete

One more question:

Once I have encoded the XML as WBXML, do I need to add 'UDH' and 'WSP Headers' to the payload?

I have been playing with a Wireless Push Service Indication that was encoded as WBXML. This Wireless Push sample has 'UDH' and 'WSP Headers' tacked onto the front of the WBXML message.

Is this 'standard procedure' when sending out WBXML over the air - or is it specific to Wireless Push?

Thanks

Nokia Developer Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pcimring View Post
    Can anyone explain to me how I go about writing the UDH and WSP Headers?
    Do not bother, just copy and paste from the Series 40 document above. The trick is, WSP stays the same. The OMA CP Content specification has a very detailed example at the end. All you have to change is the MAC (constant length) and (one day) the security parameter.
    WSP
    – WINA: content types and public identifieres
    – IANA: UTF-8 MIBEnum

If you have to code your SMS yourself (again for the start look out for a tool), the UDH is described in 3GPP 23.040 chapter 9.2.3.24.
    I do not know of any URI for the contacts database.
    The URI parameter value is exactly the same path you enter manually. This value depends on the configuration of your server! In OMA SyncML DS (beside the server itself) each database (contacts, agenda, tasks, notes, …) has its own path (because there could be two databases for the same MIME media type).

For the start, I recommend just to send your WBXML over Bluetooth to your phone. No further headers required in Series 40. If you want to send it via SMS, you have to add WSP (because you send OMA CP data) and UDH (because you send WSP data).
    Last edited by traud; 2008-03-26 at 18:29.

Thanks for the numerous and detailed feedback! It's really appreciated. I will take a look and see how it goes.

One last question though:

As a test, I fired off my current wbxml payload to an SMS Gateway. It returned the following error:

"message body too long - max 280 characters (140 octet pairs) for 8bit/16bit"

I have logged a query their support desk, but I'm not sure they are able to advise me. Do you know of some way that I can get around this limitation?

Thanks
    Pete

(PS: Sorry for all the different threads)

Nokia Developer Champion
    I do not know your SMS gateway. You have to enable long SMS or send each SMS part (each with UDH/WDP) individually.

Hi Traud

I have looked over your answers carefully, and have taken a look at each of the resources mentioned.

Could you help with the following questions?:

=> Below are the WSP Headers used in the S40 document - followed by a list of questions:

Code:
    01         TID  
    06               PDU Type (PUSH)  
    2F1F2D           Headers Length
    B6               Content-Type application/vnd.wap.connectivity-wbxml
    9181             SEC - USERPIN  
    92               MAC
    3645334234333032324133324232333941463736 	MAC value  
    00              			        End of MAC-value  
    ...              	 		WBXML content
    - TID - What range of values does this take? Can I always leave this as '01'?
    - Headers Length - Why is this value so 'large'?
    - Content-Type - According to 'WAP-230-WSP-20010705-a.pdf', should this not be '36'?

=> Lastly, you mention that I should preferably use a Tool. Can you recommend one?

Thanks
    Pete
    Last edited by pcimring; 2008-03-31 at 11:48.

Hi Pete,

I am currently going through exactly what you are i.e. setting up client provisioning for our syncml server. I have been partially successful but struggling on the 6300.

Can you email me via my profile please?

Cheers
    Mark

Nokia Developer Champion
    Could you help with the following questions?
    Again, why do you bother with questions for which you do not have to know the answer? Anyway, please have a look at the example in the OMA CP Content specification (at the very end). It will explain and give references to the appropriate chapters in WSP.

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    Again, why do you bother with questions for which you do not have to know the answer?
    I must dis-agree. I will have to send out OMA CP payloads to a wide variety of phones. Without an understanding of the hex values, I'm 'shooting from the hip', without any framework for trouble-shooting.

The WSP spec is difficult to understand (unless you are already well versed in the subject). Why not enrich others with some knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    Anyway, please have a look at the example in the OMA CP Content specification (at the very end). It will explain and give references to the appropriate chapters in WSP.
    Thanks - in the interim I looked at the S40 document more closely and it was very helpful.

Just to confirm one last time:

My XML document will change for each user account. I understand, therefor, that for each user account I need to:

=> Generate the wbxml
    => Calculate the MAC (e.g. with the same USERPIN key each time)
    => Append the WSP Header - EXACTLY as it appears in the s40 doc (i.e. the header length will never change)

Thanks again
    Pete

PS: How does one send a wbxml payload to the phone via blue-tooth? Right now, I don't have a blue tooth radio installed on the PC - could I use a cable?

How do I send an SMS from the PC to the phone via bluetooth?

Hi Traud

I have successfully put together code that adds the WSP Headers (and MAC), splits the payload and submits each message part the WDP Headers. I have tested it with the Nokia S40 sample and it works fine.

However, when I fire off my own WBXML payload, nothing arrives at the phone.

You mentioned that I should test the XML document via bluetooth. Once the PC and phone are 'paired', how does one send a message to the phone?

Thanks
    Pete

Nokia Developer Champion
    The WSP spec is difficult to understand
    And I went the same path as you, trying to understand this stuff - for me it was a waste of time as it is static. The example in the OMA CP spec is very detailed and explains it better than any other example I found so far. I am not able to explain it better than that one – I missed this example at the start. You do not need to understand anything of that. That is the point I want to share. Furthermore, there is nothing to share as that example lists the references in very good detail. If you do not understand one specific references, please say so.
    My XML document will change for each user account.
    Why? You could send empty/blank name/password fields and the user is then changing the values accordingly. This would be the correct way (if you do HTTPS) actually, as no one is able to fetch that unencrypted message. Anyway, this is more an academic answer, as it might be too difficult for your users to add these missing information. You have to play with that.
    How does one send a wbxml payload to the phone via blue-tooth)
    Send File As …
    I cannot give you more details as this depends on your Bluetooth software on your computer. All I can say, use OBEX-Push.
    Last edited by traud; 2008-04-13 at 13:24.