Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Capabilities question

I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I can't find it so if I just missed a thread, please link to it for future reference.

I am trying to figure out which Capabilities are covered by the Symbian Signed Open Signed Offline method. Right now I do not have a Publisher ID and am debating getting one. If it can give me access to Capabilities CommDD and NetworkControl, then I will purchase one.

My confusion comes from conflicting documents. This document:
    http://developer.symbian.com/ssguide

and this page

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/plat...criptions.html

say that only 3 Capabilities [AllFiles, TCB, DRM] are limited by Device Manufacturer. However, the second link says 4 other capabilities [CommDD, DiskAdmin, NetworkControl, MultimediaDD] are "Accessible via Certified Signed" only. The first link says those 4 others are available to Open Signed (with Publisher ID).

To further confuse the issue, from the SymbianSigned website itself, I found this document:
    https://www.symbiansigned.com/Develo...ocess_v2.0.pdf

which says that all 7 of the aforementioned Capabilities require Phone Manufacturer Approval.

Anyone able to clarify this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Capabilities question

it should be excatly as it says, you need manufacturer approval for :[AllFiles, TCB, DRM]

And you don't need manufactuere approval for teh rests. But if you have one of the four [CommDD, DiskAdmin, NetworkControl, MultimediaDD] capabilties, you can not use Open signed, but need to use Certified Signed.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply symbianyucca.

I just want to clarify this - from the table on the symbiansigned webpage [https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/page]

For Certified Signed, you first need to get your application tested by an Independent Test House? How am I supposed to actually develop/test/debug my code on the device if I have to first submit it to this test house before being able to install it on the device in question?

You have to look at things from the right perspective: Open Signed (offline/online) applies for R&D activities while Express Signed and Certified Signed are certification methods applied to the official releases.

From development perspective:
    Open Signed Online (no Publisher ID, 1 IMEI only) gives you access to: Basic capabilities + System capabilities
    Open Signed Offline (Publisher ID, multiple IMEIs) gives you access to: Basic capabilities + System capabilities + Restricted capabilities + Device Manufacturer capabilities (if approved)

From certification perspective:
    Express Signed ca be used to certify your apps but only for applications that use/require capabilities from the Basic and/or System sets. Optionally, Certified Signing can be used for these applications too.
    For applications that make use of capabilities using Restricted capabilities the only certification option is Certified Signing.
    If you use Device Manufacturer capabilities certification will be done through Symbian Signed for Nokia.

The names of the capabilities sets used here are those from the "The Complete Guide to Symbian Signed", page 8. Forum Nokia's pages would require indeed some terminology updates and clarifications. I'll pass this feedback on.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2008-03-21 at 08:38. Reason: The info on Device Manugacturer capabilities was wrong. Symbian Signed for Nokia is the certification channel for those caps
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

OK! I think I understand it now.

My understanding now is as follows:

From an R&D perspective, if I get a Publisher ID then I will be able to develop applications with Capabilities up to the level of Restricted. This leaves only AllFiles, DRM and TCB as the Capabilities that won't be open to me. If I require these Capabilities, even at the development stage, I will need to get Manufacturer approval.

From a commercial standpoint, I will need to get some kind of certification (Express or Certified) depending on what level Capabilities are required.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is a good summary of what you guys have said. Thanks for that as it clears things up completely!

You've got it.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Awesome - thanks for the clarification guys.