×

Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3

    Exclamation Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    if I write something like this,
    audio.say("äääööö")
    my pys60 won't say anything?

    How in hek I make skript that speak
    proper finnish?

    Please Help, im stuck!

  2. #2
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
    Posts
    3,852

    Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Santtu2000 View Post
    if I write something like this,
    audio.say("äääööö")
    my pys60 won't say anything?

    How in hek I make skript that speak
    proper finnish?

    Please Help, im stuck!
    hi santtu2000
    first of all welcome to the wonderful python dibo.
    the first question i will ask u which phone u r using.
    and make it clear that audio.say function works only for s603rd edition.

  3. #3
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    133

    Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Santtu2000 View Post
    if I write something like this,
    audio.say("äääööö")
    my pys60 won't say anything?

    How in hek I make skript that speak
    proper finnish?

    Please Help, im stuck!
    Hi Santtu2000,

    The audio engine uses the Language that is set in the device. If this is English, it read the text provided in audio.say in english.
    So you can try to change the device language to Finnish and then try the command line (audio.say)
    Kandyfloss

    V 7.0642.0
    18-10-06
    RH-51
    Nokia 7610

  4. #4
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    57

    Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Santtu2000 View Post
    if I write something like this,
    audio.say("äääööö")
    my pys60 won't say anything?

    How in hek I make skript that speak
    proper finnish?
    Yes, well make sure the language settings are ok, and that the telephone is actually capable of speaking the language (feed it with some english text - if it doesn't sound like english then it probably isn't - so far so good).

    Secondly, make sure that you know in what encoding does the function (audio.say) expect its input, and that you feed it with a properly encoded "äääööö" (these are special characters after all).

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3

    Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    First Thanks for help,
    I'm using n80 and the language is set to finnish.
    It talks finnish but when it comes to letter ä or ö
    the letter will be skipped.

    Are you tested this with your phones?

    Thanks
    Santtu2000

  6. #6
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
    Posts
    3,852

    Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Santtu2000 View Post
    First Thanks for help,
    I'm using n80 and the language is set to finnish.
    It talks finnish but when it comes to letter ä or ö
    the letter will be skipped.

    Are you tested this with your phones?

    Thanks
    Santtu2000
    hi santtu2000
    plz write only a instead of ä and o instead of ö
    and check then
    thanx

  7. #7
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    976

    Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by gaba88 View Post
    plz write only a instead of ä and o instead of ö
    That might work in Finglish, but not in Real Life.
    For example "Mikä Hakkinen? Mika Häkkinen!"

    My guess is that text-to-speech is not able to speak Finnish.

    Cheers,

    --jouni

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3

    Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    Thanks again,

    Is this a bug in pys60 or something?
    where should it be notified?

    Im writing a little program for visual impaired people and if finnish not spoken properly, ill conna get serious laffs, heh!

    thanks
    Santtu2000

  9. #9
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    4,533

    Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Santtu2000 View Post
    Thanks again,

    Is this a bug in pys60 or something?
    where should it be notified?

    Im writing a little program for visual impaired people and if finnish not spoken properly, ill conna get serious laffs, heh!

    thanks
    Santtu2000
    Well the native(?) text-speech fails to translate correctly the Suomi(finnish Language) sounds like 'J', 'Y', etc. I am not sure if changing the language on device has any effect on this...thats one of the things you could check on.

  10. #10
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
    Posts
    3,852

    Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Santtu2000 View Post
    Thanks again,

    Is this a bug in pys60 or something?
    where should it be notified?

    Im writing a little program for visual impaired people and if finnish not spoken properly, ill conna get serious laffs, heh!

    thanks
    Santtu2000
    hi santtu2000
    yes we can say that this is a bug. but the bug i think is on the operating system side. hope the moderators are reading this and will comment on this.
    thanx

  11. #11
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    57

    Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    Well the native(?) text-speech fails to translate correctly the Suomi(finnish Language) sounds like 'J', 'Y', etc. I am not sure if changing the language on device has any effect on this...thats one of the things you could check on.
    Don't know about Suomi, what buffles me though is the encoding of the string - I've read somewhere that all Symbian is unicode, so why does audio.say expect ASCII ? No matter if the core engine is able to speak Suomi or not, I express my concern again: in what encoding should the input string be (and why not unicode) ?

  12. #12
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
    Posts
    3,852

    Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by nokia_e70 View Post
    Don't know about Suomi, what buffles me though is the encoding of the string - I've read somewhere that all Symbian is unicode, so why does audio.say expect ASCII ? No matter if the core engine is able to speak Suomi or not, I express my concern again: in what encoding should the input string be (and why not unicode) ?
    hi nokia_e70
    u r correct that the everything in symbian in unicode and i believe that the input is in unicode be it any language the device should speak correctly nd efficiently.

    thanx

  13. #13
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    133

    Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by gaba88 View Post
    hi nokia_e70
    u r correct that the everything in symbian in unicode and i believe that the input is in unicode be it any language the device should speak correctly nd efficiently.

    thanx
    Jokes apart, strings in audio.say doesn't have to be compulsorily in unicode.
    I think it is not able to pronounce some words correctly and so its not the format (unicode or ASCII) that matters.
    Last edited by kandyfloss; 2008-03-25 at 14:11.
    Kandyfloss

    V 7.0642.0
    18-10-06
    RH-51
    Nokia 7610

  14. #14
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Deva, Romania
    Posts
    3,471

    Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by nokia_e70 View Post
    Don't know about Suomi, what buffles me though is the encoding of the string - I've read somewhere that all Symbian is unicode, so why does audio.say expect ASCII ? No matter if the core engine is able to speak Suomi or not, I express my concern again: in what encoding should the input string be (and why not unicode) ?
    The official PyS60 documentation doesn't say that the string has to be unicode:
    The following method is available in the audio module:

    say(text, prefix=audio.TTS_PREFIX)
    Passes the text to the device text-to-speech engine. The default prefix is the text-to-speech prefix "(tts)".
    And both normal strings and unicode ones work:
    Code:
    import audio
    
    audio.say('Discussion')
    #Is apparently the same as
    audio.say(u'Discussion')

  15. #15
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    133

    Smile Re: Text-to-Spech åäö? hmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    The official PyS60 documentation doesn't say that the string has to be unicode:


    And both normal strings and unicode ones work:
    Code:
    import audio
    
    audio.say('Discussion')
    #Is apparently the same as
    audio.say(u'Discussion')
    Thanks Bogdan for reffering to the documentation, I hope this will be the final word on this discussion thread.
    Kandyfloss

    V 7.0642.0
    18-10-06
    RH-51
    Nokia 7610

Similar Threads

  1. TextWrapper example class
    By miohtama in forum Symbian
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2008-03-08, 11:46
  2. Exit form from edit mode
    By tqchcm in forum Symbian User Interface
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2007-10-31, 06:06
  3. Rendering text in multiple languages
    By TheLittleBird in forum Symbian
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2007-06-05, 12:52
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2004-11-24, 18:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×