Discussion Board

Question Help!! Emulator doesn't run

Hi all,

I need help with my emulator. I am using Carbide.c++ 1.3 with 3rd Ed. MR SDK. I have my application UI and some code but I have a problem with the emulator. When I select the run option, the emulator doesn't run at all. I proved to execute it in another PC and it runs perfectly. What can be happening in my laptop?

Even with the HelloWorld example it doesn't run. I checked my firewall (I turn off it) but again the same result.

I am not be able to launch the phone emulator (C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\epoc.exe). Anyone can help me? Thanks in advance...

mnbemxys

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Help!! Emulator doesn't run

Have you tried running the emulator from the command prompt (type EPOC) or from the Windows Start menu? The problem may not be related to Carbide.c++ at all.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hi, mnbemxys,
    you told you had started epoc.exe from the command line. Check epocwind.out in your temp folder to find the reason for your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Y View Post
    Hi, mnbemxys,
    you told you had started epoc.exe from the command line.
    No, he didn't. :D
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by mnbemxys View Post
    Hi all,

I need help with my emulator. I am using Carbide.c++ 1.3 with 3rd Ed. MR SDK. I have my application UI and some code but I have a problem with the emulator. When I select the run option, the emulator doesn't run at all. I proved to execute it in another PC and it runs perfectly. What can be happening in my laptop?

Even with the HelloWorld example it doesn't run. I checked my firewall (I turn off it) but again the same result.

I am not be able to launch the phone emulator (C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\epoc.exe). Anyone can help me? Thanks in advance...

mnbemxys
    Does it not start at all or hangs? Like Ltomuta suggested, try starting it from command line. Its been known with some people using laptops that some kind of drivers (especially sound if I am not mistaken) create problems.

Hi, thanks for your suggestions. I have tried running the emulator from the command line and got the same result except once that I achieved to run it. But only once. Also I tried to run it from de Windows start menu and again nothing.

Just in case... I checked the task manager at the same time and sometimes (not always) i saw the process just for one second more or less, then it disappeared. Any suggestions more? Thank you.

mnbemxys

Thumbs up Re: Help!! Emulator doesn't run

Hi again,

Finally i found the solution to my problem in another sub-forum of Nokia Forum. The solution is in this thread: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=84403

Is about the same problem I have and the solution is related to the local user environment variables. I set TMP and TEMP as C:\tmp and C:\temp and now everything is working well.

Thanks a lot for your help.

mnbemxys

Hi,
    Can you specify the solution. I didn't understand the tmp,temp issues. I am using laptop and the emulator starts the phone image is displayed and no reaction afterwards. Where should I cancel the audio driver, I heard about?

Locating the logfile has a better description here: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Epocwind.out
    The audio driver of your Windows can be disabled in the Control Panel of your Windows.

I can't get it work....Neither I can track the .out file
    Emulator doesn't want to launch the application

Quote Originally Posted by phantP View Post
    I can't get it work....Neither I can track the .out file
    Emulator doesn't want to launch the application
    If the emulator doesnt want to launch the application, check on whats wrong with the application, this thread was for 'emulator' not running

I experienced the same problem after installing ITunes on my machine. And after searching all over the forum about the emulator issue on Nokia SDK 3rd Ed FP1, I concluded that installing ITunes have caused it. I am not sure about it. I think it altered some configurations in the environment variables.

The only solution that worked for me is to restore my machine in a previous state before prior to installing ITunes. So hopefully, this solution will help you too guys.

USE System Restore. :D

-jinmaning
    Last edited by Symbian_Neil; 2011-01-30 at 14:30. Reason: removed spam link