Discussion Board

Error generating sis files using py2sis.

I executed the following command on cmd and i got this error.

C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\tools\py2sis>python py2sis.py demo1.py btremote_3.sis --uid=0x20012385 --appname=BTRemote --sdk30 --autostart
    Creating SIS for SDK3.0 and later
    Processing template C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\tools\py2sis\build\Icons_aif.mk.template
    Processing template C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\tools\py2sis\build\PyTest.cpp.template
    Processing template C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\tools\py2sis\build\PyTest.rss.template
    Processing template C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\tools\py2sis\build\PyTest_reg.rss.template
    Processing template C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\tools\py2sis\build\app.mmp.template
    ERROR [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '00000000.rss'

Can anyone help me generate sis files for 3rd ed. phones. the same py2sis works for 2nd ed phones though.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Error generating sis files using py2sis.

Quote Originally Posted by smilesnigam View Post
    I executed the following command on cmd and i got this error.

C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\tools\py2sis>python py2sis.py demo1.py btremote_3.sis --uid=0x20012385 --appname=BTRemote --sdk30 --autostart
    Creating SIS for SDK3.0 and later
    Processing template C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\tools\py2sis\build\Icons_aif.mk.template
    Processing template C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\tools\py2sis\build\PyTest.cpp.template
    Processing template C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\tools\py2sis\build\PyTest.rss.template
    Processing template C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\tools\py2sis\build\PyTest_reg.rss.template
    Processing template C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\Epoc32\tools\py2sis\build\app.mmp.template
    ERROR [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '00000000.rss'

Can anyone help me generate sis files for 3rd ed. phones. the same py2sis works for 2nd ed phones though.
    I strongly recommend you use Ensymble to package your Python scripts into sis files.

I used the following command.

C:\Symbian\nokia symbian\Ensymble>python ensymble.py py2sis demo1.py btremote_3.sis --appname=BTRemote --uid=0xe17ff598 --autostart

ensymble.py: warning: no application version given, using 1.0.0
    ensymble.py: warning: no certificate given, using insecure built-in one

When i tried to install it on my nokia 3rd ed phone it says file corrupted. Is it because of the insecure certificate ?
    How can i use a secure cert.?

I used the following command.

C:\Symbian\nokia symbian\Ensymble>python ensymble.py py2sis demo1.py btremote_3.sis --appname=BTRemote --uid=0xe17ff598 --autostart

When i tried to install it on my nokia 3rd ed phone it says file corrupted. Is it because of the insecure certificate ?
    How can i use a secure cert.?
    Currently there is no free way to get a certificate, sadly.
    The problem is not due to using an insecure certificate. I tried the exact same command line you used, got those two errors, and my application successfully installed on my phone (N95).
    Beats me what the problem is

A similar discussion is going on here
    Last edited by bogdan.galiceanu; 2008-03-24 at 16:41.

thanks bogdan.galiceanu.

Could you please tell me when do we actually need a certificate ?
    I had read somewhere that you need a certificate if you have to install an app on 3rd ed. phones.
    Also, I tried signing an app through symbiansigned.com . Earlier they allowed open signing but now they seem to disabled that feature.
    Could you please enlighten a bit.

Thanks and regards

A certificate is needed to sign .sis and .sisx files in order to install them on devices running S60 3rd edition and onward. They implemented this for security reasons, but most of the time (and especially recently) it's a pain to get an application signed.

Currently, the only free way of getting an app signed is to submit it to them, along with your email and the IMEI of the target phone (this process is called Open Signed Online).

I'm not sure your problem is caused by the "insecure" certificate that Ensymble uses. I tried installing an application signed by Ensymble with the insecure cert on my N95 and it worked.

What phone are you using?
    Also, go to Menu->Settings->Applications->App. manager and under "Software installation" make sure the option "All" is selected.

I tried using ensymble to create a standalone app but when i tried installing it on E62, it says "Update error" !!!

C:\Symbian\Ensymble>python ensymble.py py2sis demo1.py --appname=BTRemote --uid=0xe17ff598 --autostart

C:\Symbian\Ensymble>python ensymble.py mergesis btremote_v1_0_0.sis PythonForS60_1_4_2_3rdEd.SIS btremote_v1_0_0_standalone.sis
    ensymble.py: PythonForS60_1_4_2_3rdEd.SIS: warning: 1272 extra bytes after SIS file (ignored)
    ensymble.py: warning: removing old signatures from the first input SIS file

Can someone unfold the mystery ?

Also I generated a .sis standalone file, pretty much the same way as i did earlier but this time I used py2sis as i had to use the app on a 2nd ed phone, and ensymble generates only for 3rd ed phones. At the time of installation it says "Installation Security Error" ??
    I am really really in trouble now because i have completed the project and need to generate the .sis file now. How can i do that ?
    Any help is highly appreciated.

I tried using ensymble to create a standalone app but when i tried installing it on E62, it says "Update error" !!!

C:\Symbian\Ensymble>python ensymble.py py2sis demo1.py --appname=BTRemote --uid=0xe17ff598 --autostart

C:\Symbian\Ensymble>python ensymble.py mergesis btremote_v1_0_0.sis PythonForS60_1_4_2_3rdEd.SIS btremote_v1_0_0_standalone.sis
    ensymble.py: PythonForS60_1_4_2_3rdEd.SIS: warning: 1272 extra bytes after SIS file (ignored)

Also I generated a .sis standalone file, pretty much the same way as i did earlier but this time I used py2sis as i had to use the app on a 2nd ed phone, and ensymble generates only for 3rd ed phones. At the time of installation it says "Installation Security Error" ??
    I am really really in trouble now because i have completed the project and need to generate the .sis file now. How can i do that ?
    I can help with the "Update error" problem. The error occurs because you have used a UID that is already applied to another application in your E62 (I tried installing 2 apps with the same UID and on the second installation I got "Update error"). So I suggest you try a different UID.

As for the second problem, I'm really not sure, but I have to ask what version of Ensymble you are using. Make sure it is the latest one.

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Error generating sis files using py2sis.

Hi smilesnigam,

The 2nd error is because the filebtremote_v1_0_0_standalone.sis is unsigned as the old signatures are removed.
    Code:
    So sign the filebtremote_v1_0_0_standalone.sis file and that will do away with the error.
    Kandyfloss

V 7.0642.0
    18-10-06
    RH-51
    Nokia 7610

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kandyfloss View Post
    The 2nd error is because the filebtremote_v1_0_0_standalone.sis is unsigned as the old signatures are removed.
    Code:
    So sign the filebtremote_v1_0_0_standalone.sis file and that will do away with the error.
    That's correct, except that Ensymble never makes unsigned SIS files, as no phone would ever accept them. (Some people here talk about unsigned SIS files when they mean self-signed ones, but this is wrong.) If no certificate is given, Ensymble uses a built-in self-signed certificate. By the way, signing can also be done during the merge with --cert and --privkey. It is exactly the same thing as doing it afterwards with signsis.

Update errors are usually a sign that the phone considers the new version to be too different from the old one and refuses to update the SIS. Removing the old version first solves this problem.