Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Listbox in "large" or "full" screen

Hi guys

I don't know how it looks at your phones, but on my E70, making a Listbox in the screen modes "large" or "full" looks totally wrong. It misses the background in the lower part along with some other artifacts. Also the same thing happens when switching orientation to landscape (missing background and artifacts on the right side of the screen).

Super Contributor

Re: Listbox in "large" or "full" screen

Not used listboxes yet, but had lots of fun debugging appuifw.Canvas callbacks. It's amazing when they get called by system... Most of the times it's almost logical!

Code:
        canvas = appuifw.Canvas(
           resize_callback = cb_handle_resize,
           redraw_callback = cb_handle_redraw)
    Try to add lots of debugging code into your callbacks and figure out whether you're doing all resizing and redrawing that's needed, when needed and in right order. Try to slow down your computer to actually see how many times everything is redrawn. Shouldn't be too difficult

Well, good luck! Hoping it's your code and not a bug in pyS60

Btw if you use custom background graphics, you're sure to remember resizing it, too?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JOM View Post
    Not used listboxes yet, but had lots of fun debugging appuifw.Canvas callbacks.
    Yeah, and I go the other way round... gave up on listboxes, I'm gonna implement my own using the canvas.

Try to add lots of debugging code into your callbacks and figure out whether you're doing all resizing and redrawing that's needed, when needed and in right order. Try to slow down your computer to actually see how many times everything is redrawn. Shouldn't be too difficult
    Isn't it pointless to handle a resize event anyway? Redraw has to be fired anyway, right?

Btw if you use custom background graphics, you're sure to remember resizing it, too?
    I don't - I like the default system wallpaper, and that resizes automagically

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by nokia_e70 View Post
    Isn't it pointless to handle a resize event anyway? Redraw has to be fired anyway, right?
    Must handle resize, since I have full screen graphics. Also have to check that cursor remains on-screen after resize. Btw resize is called not only at normal-full change, but also when you rotate screen.

Most of the times resize calls redraw.. or at least someone calls, since few times I jump to redraw while in the middle of resize! Not too nice: I'm fixing new graphics, someone forces screen redraw with old graphics and when I'm done I have to call redraw myself

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JOM View Post
    Must handle resize, since I have full screen graphics.
    Are You sure? Read on...

Most of the times resize calls redraw..
    That's exactly my point. When there is resize, there's also redraw. So there's no point in handling both. You could handle resize IN your redraw handler and throw out the resize handler altogether, so You don't have a racing condition between two conflicting handlers. After all, You can check the screen dimensions from the redraw handler to know if the resize has happened.