Discussion Board

Thread: Cell ID's

Cell ID's

I have seen reference to older SDK's that it is not possible to get the Cell ID of any cell other than the main serving cell.

Is it posible to get the Cell ID's of all cells in range of a phone using the latest SDK?

The information is out there (some Nokia phones will display it)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Cell ID's

Quote Originally Posted by sandy771 View Post
    I have seen reference to older SDK's that it is not possible to get the Cell ID of any cell other than the main serving cell.

Is it posible to get the Cell ID's of all cells in range of a phone using the latest SDK?

The information is out there (some Nokia phones will display it)
    There was a very long discussion regarding the same and from what I had understood one of the Experts say was that it is not possible to get neighbours(atleast using public API), but only your own. Check the thread thoroughly for exact informaion regarding the same. Another one was also interesting.

If you search you might find more interesting facts

Hi sandy771,
    Please let me know if you have any idea about how to retrieve neighboring cells information. I am working on a project where I have to use triangulation algorithm to compute the location. I have thought to use the 3 previous cells to wich the mobile was connected instead of the condidat cells. but I don't have any garanty that it will work.
    this is my email, we can cooperate:
    iglhamid@gmail.com

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hamidigl View Post
    Please let me know if you have any idea about how to retrieve neighboring cells information.
    You'd have to program the SIM card for that. The phone API's are not very allowing in that matter (the reason being not technical, but rather legal/marketing, like the selling point for GPS phones and add-ons). I've read some info that WM (that other smartphone platform has an API for that.

Quote Originally Posted by nokia_e70 View Post
    You'd have to program the SIM card for that. The phone API's are not very allowing in that matter (the reason being not technical, but rather legal/marketing, like the selling point for GPS phones and add-ons). I've read some info that WM (that other smartphone platform has an API for that.
    How can i program the sim card?