Discussion Board

access network interface

Hi everyone,

Can i access network interface of S60 series device and read all incoming and outgoing IP packets similar to packet sniffing in modern operating systems like UNIX variant and windows?. I need to capture all incoming and outgoing IP packets.Is there any public APIs for symbian phones or any low level system calls to get network interface same as eth0 in UNIX variant systems?. In UNIX systems all network data passing through network card and we can access all incoming and outgoing packets from Ethernet interfaces like eth0 or eth1.I don't know what is the actual network interface in symbian enabled mobile devices or generally mobile devices.

Regular Contributor

Re: access network interface

Quote Originally Posted by arayappan_it View Post
    Hi everyone,

Can i access network interface of S60 series device and read all incoming and outgoing IP packets similar to packet sniffing in modern operating systems like UNIX variant and windows?. I need to capture all incoming and outgoing IP packets.Is there any public APIs for symbian phones or any low level system calls to get network interface same as eth0 in UNIX variant systems?. In UNIX systems all network data passing through network card and we can access all incoming and outgoing packets from Ethernet interfaces like eth0 or eth1.I don't know what is the actual network interface in symbian enabled mobile devices or generally mobile devices.
    Hi, arayappan_it,
    there is a special API (IPV6Hook) to work with incoming and outgoing IP packets, but this API is not public

Hi Mr.y,
    I searched "IPV6Hook" in internet but is giving only two results, that are not useful. can you explain network access procedures(access network interface and read packets).

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by arayappan_it View Post
    Hi Mr.y,
    I searched "IPV6Hook" in internet but is giving only two results, that are not useful. can you explain network access procedures(access network interface and read packets).
    Hi, arayappan_it
    this API was mentioned in this forum for some times (http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...archid=6684039), but this api is not public, you have to have BAK at least to use it