Discussion Board

Location Based Service

Hi all,
    I am working on a Mobile location finder application program.
    The possible ways are using
    1. GPS enabled Mobile device which uses Location API
    2. Netwrok based which also uses Location API

If we take a GPS reciever for location finding the expected output from the GPS reciever is a NMEA string which contains Lat Long , time etc.
    The question is if Iam trying to make use of Network based service for location finding without GPS can I expect the same NMEA output or a different one. If so what will be the format?

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Re: Location Based Service

The question is if Iam trying to make use of Network based service for location finding without GPS can I expect the same NMEA output or a different one. If so what will be the format?

Network provider don't supply NMEA. instead you can read Cell information like cell-id of serving tower and its signal strength BUT IN SYMBIAN AND NOT IN J2ME.
    Also you cant locate a cell phone or build location based services on it. i.e. only knowing cell id "1011" is serving you doesnt make any sense unless you know precisely where "1011" is located i.e. its lat/long values so that you can use maps and apply location based services to it.

Re: Location Based Service

If I understood properly the information provided by Network based Solutions will not provide adequate informations related to the exact position of the mobile device. Only a GPS can provide exact informations which can be used for map navigation.

Which means till date there is no solution apart from GPS which can be used for MAP based navigation.