Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Signing Symbian App

Hi all,

I think that my question has an easy response, but lets go to see it.

I have always signed applications using developer certificates for testing and SymbianSigned to create stable releases and be able to be installed in any phone. Now I am working in J2ME, and last week I found that signing midlets with Thawte or Verisign certificates there was not any restriction in APIs used. My question now is:

Is there any way to sign a Symbian application which uses ReadUserData and Networkk Access capabilities to be installed in any phone? I mean without using SymbianSigned. I suposse the response is NO, but...

Thank you very much!!!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Signing Symbian App

If you install an unsigned midlet it will be bound to the untrusted domain, if you sign it with certificate A it will be bound to a domain associated with A. I don't know much about Java signing but it may be that the root certificate for Thawte or Verisign may be in the device as the domains and associated certificates may be standardised, but I'm guessing.

The answer to your query is perhaps theoretically yes - it would be possible if you had an EE certificate that is chained to the CA root certificate which is present on the device. But in practice you need to find out what root certifiates a device ships with and then be able to obtain a derived EE certificate, so probably therefore no practically.
    Last edited by hotcheese; 2008-03-31 at 19:12.

Regular Contributor

Yes yes. My problem is not related to Java signing, I very well the process. In symbian c++ the same, but I am asking if it is posible to self-sign a SIS which uses some capabilities to be installed in any phone.

I know that it is posible to self-sign SIS files but if it has not any capability granted (passive content). My question is about self-signing a symbian application which has some capabilities (ReadUserData and NetworkServices in my case).

Thanks of any way.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Self-signing can be used for applications that need either no capability or user grantable capabilities only.

See Platform Security and Symbian Signed and the rest of the blog posts there.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

But then can I install in ANY PHONE a self-signed application with ReadUserData and Network services? Are you sure??? What is the difference then with symbian signed?

The diference is that the application is untrusted (and there is a message that lets the end-user know that). The fact that is not trusted means that some features cannot be used, e.g. you cannot use the Startup List Management API to get your application to run on boot. And obviously you cannot use the non-user-grantable capabilities.

N.B. Self-signed and Symbian Signed are valid for S60 1rst and 2nd Edition applications too, despite the lack of Platform Security and related concepts.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

SO the response to my question is: YES. I can sign my application which uses NetworkServices, ReadUserData and WriteUserData capabilities to be installed in any phone, and only a dialog will appear at installation time (untrusted application). Is it right?

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

SO the response to my question is: YES. I can sign my application which uses NetworkServices, ReadUserData and WriteUserData capabilities to be installed in any phone, and only a dialog will appear at installation time (untrusted application). Is it right?

Thanks!

Yes! Oui! Da! Ja! Sì! نعم! 是的! はい! Sim!
    -- Lucian

Nokia Developer Champion

I know you are asking about signing SYmbian SIS files.
    Your question sounded like you were asking if you could bypass the Symbian signed process "I mean without using SymbianSigned." - which is what I answered.

If you simply wanted to know if you can use self signing for those capabilities why not simply ask that first time around.

ReadUserData and NetworkServices are user capabilites. What you can do actually depends upon how the phone is configured.
    For example, among other things there is a AllowGrantUserCapabilites flag in rom, if set to true then the user can grant these capabilites themselves.
    For Nokia S60 3rd phones I believe you should be able to self sign them - a disadvantage of slef signing however is that the user will be presented with a warning dialog.