Discussion Board

Hybrid View

About Feature Pack 2 and Nokia N82

Just wondering - once I get a nokia n82 with feature pack 1 will I be able to download f. pack 2? Cuz that's keeping me from buying n82 or n78 ,I just can't decide.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: About Feature Pack 2 and Nokia N82

Nope, you can noy upgrade the OS to different Feature packs, you can only update the firmware versions with normal software updater.

Too bad, 10x anyway!

Hi symbianyucca,

I read some posts on the forums saying you cannot upgrade to a different Feature Pack but when looking at device specs there isn't a big difference that can explain this.

Given the following comparison between Nokia 6120 classic and 6220 classic:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone1=1958
    The only difference is the amount of RAM that is available. One would say that the doubled amount of RAM is important but other phones anounced to have FP 2 manage to cope with 96MB and even 64MB of RAM (as found in 6120 classic running FP 1). I arrive at the conclusion that the new FP isn't that RAM consuming. I have also checked the free RAM on my 6120 classic (it's 15MB) and would like to be given the option if I want to spend it on new features or leave it like this, for use with memory consuming applications.

I would like to ask the opinion of an Expert as to why exactly is the software upgrade not provided by Nokia? Maybe this has something to do with licence fees? I don't know.

If there is no "hardware" problem, then the problem would be with Nokia not willing to provide the FP upgrade for free and I find this not ok.

Any information is welcome. Thank you for the attention.

I was looking to get the N82 black edition, but want to have Feature Pack 2 to use the new cool themes. If it is not possible to upgrade the OS to FP2 (from FP1) then its very disappointing news as there seems to be no other Nseries Nokia phone with specs similar or better than the N82!

Nokia Developer Moderator

You can either wait/search for the perfect phone, if such thing exists, or go for the best from the current offer, obliviously compromising on one thing or another. Anyway, chances are that the next day after buying the phone a new and better one will be available.

It is worth discussing the topic with others, learn their opinions. Here's the best site for that: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com.

This site is reserved for mobile software developers and software development related issues.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite