Discussion Board

Question about controlling UI when editing a textarea

I've been playing around with the WRT (hopefully I'll have something to post soon), however, I had a question about editing textareas in an HTML form. I'm using the FP2 emulator for now, and my widget is calling menu.showSoftkeys() on startup so the softkey information is being displayed at all times.

My issue happens when in portrait mode (240x320) and a textarea is selected. When this happens, a 20 pixel header automatically appears at the top of the screen indicating the typing mode you are using. If you are in landscape mode, this 20 pixel header does not appear (because the text indicator is across the bottom of the softkey menu).

What I want to do is to make it so my UI programatically adjusts itself whenever this 20 pixel header appears in portrait mode. Unlike menu.onShow, there doesn't seem to be an event model to support this. Is there a better solution to detect this?

The only workaround I've thought of so far is to call setTimeout when the textarea receives an onClick, and then in the timeout function, I could check window.innerHeight to see if things have changed. For instance:

<textarea name="input_text" id="input_text" cols="40" rows="4" onClick="setTimeout('showHeight()',200)"></textarea>

function showHeight() {
    alert(window.innerHeight);
    }

Does anyone have a better alternative? Am I missing some other basic Javascript event that is called when entering editing mode? Thanks,

-Will

Re: Question about controlling UI when editing a textarea

One more question along these same lines. Does WRT support the onOrientation() event. I know there's a boolean indicating that orientations are supported, and then you can manually change the orientation via code, however, in the case of something like the N95 where someone can slide the phone and change it from portrait to landscape, does the widget have a way of knowing this has happened?

Quote Originally Posted by wturnage View Post
    I had a question about editing textareas in an HTML form. I'm using the FP2 emulator for now, and my widget is calling menu.showSoftkeys() on startup so the softkey information is being displayed at all times.

My issue happens when in portrait mode (240x320) and a textarea is selected. When this happens, a 20 pixel header automatically appears at the top of the screen indicating the typing mode you are using. If you are in landscape mode, this 20 pixel header does not appear (because the text indicator is across the bottom of the softkey menu).

What I want to do is to make it so my UI programatically adjusts itself whenever this 20 pixel header appears in portrait mode. Unlike menu.onShow, there doesn't seem to be an event model to support this. Is there a better solution to detect this?

The only workaround I've thought of so far is to call setTimeout when the textarea receives an onClick, and then in the timeout function, I could check window.innerHeight to see if things have changed. For instance:

<textarea name="input_text" id="input_text" cols="40" rows="4" onClick="setTimeout('showHeight()',200)"></textarea>

function showHeight() {
    alert(window.innerHeight);
    }

Does anyone have a better alternative? Am I missing some other basic Javascript event that is called when entering editing mode? Thanks,

-Will
    Is there some way to hide that 20 pixel header when texteditor is open?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wturnage View Post
    One more question along these same lines. Does WRT support the onOrientation() event. I know there's a boolean indicating that orientations are supported, and then you can manually change the orientation via code, however, in the case of something like the N95 where someone can slide the phone and change it from portrait to landscape, does the widget have a way of knowing this has happened?
    Orientation changes result in that the window size changes and that can be detected by normal DOM events.

It is not possible to programmatically hide the bars that appear for text editing as they are needed for showing the editing state (T9 on/off, numeric/text, caps-lock, etc.).

The widget object support for setting the orientiation (setDisplayPortrait() and setDisplayLandscape()) and finding out if the device support orientation chages (isrotationsupported property).

Like already indicated the DOM already have events for size change. Alternatively using CSS you could give your textarea relative sizes and let the browser re-size.

Hi,

Here is the way to detect the orientation mode and then handle the display accordingly:

window.onresize = handleOrientation;

function handleOrientation()
    {
    // landscape mode
    if (window.screen.width > window.screen.height) {
    }
    else { // portrait mode
    }
    }

Br,

That code is not working for me. It seems the 'window.screen.width and 'window.screen.height' don't change when the orientation changes. Here is my code.

HTML
    <script>
    var windowWidth = window.screen.width;
    var windowHeight = window.screen.height;
    var screen_Orientation = "undetermined";
    window.onresize = handleOrientation;
    </script>

Javascript
    function handleOrientation()
    {
    windowWidth = window.screen.width;
    windowHeight = window.screen.height;