×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    72

    Self contained signed commercial python Apps

    First off - very excited at discovering S60 Python - so much better than working with the nightmare that is Symbian C++ ... Thanks so much to the developers!

    Now for the $60,000 question

    Its my understanding that we can generate a signed sisx file (3rd edition) that contains our py scripts, the python interpreter and any python extensions we make, so we have a completely self contained installable sisx. Would I be correct in this assumption?

    Thanks - Lindsay

  2. #2
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    57

    Re: Self contained signed commercial python Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by blackpaw View Post
    we can generate a signed sisx file (3rd edition)
    Technically, there should be no problem. As to the signing route, it depends solely on what capabilities You require.

    By saying 'we can generate' I assume that You want to sign it yourself. Then either You have the choice of self-signing (no system/restricted caps), generating the sis per user (open signed / dev cert signed), or becoming a self-certifier (this will cost You a fortune).

  3. #3
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    21.46 N 72.11 E
    Posts
    3,777

    Re: Self contained signed commercial python Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by blackpaw View Post
    First off - very excited at discovering S60 Python - so much better than working with the nightmare that is Symbian C++ ... Thanks so much to the developers!

    Now for the $60,000 question

    Its my understanding that we can generate a signed sisx file (3rd edition) that contains our py scripts, the python interpreter and any python extensions we make, so we have a completely self contained installable sisx. Would I be correct in this assumption?

    Thanks - Lindsay
    Hi blackpaw,

    Yes you can make a SIS file with the python scripts, python and other extensions. You can sign this SIS file to make a SISX file. You can get it signed using opensigned online at www.symbiansigned.com / using your developer cert / signing it by using your publisher id at the same site.

    Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

  4. #4
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    72

    Re: Self contained signed commercial python Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by nokia_e70 View Post
    Technically, there should be no problem. As to the signing route, it depends solely on what capabilities You require.
    Just the std Read/Write User Data, Local Services and Network.

    By saying 'we can generate' I assume that You want to sign it yourself.
    Yes - initially while developing using symbian signed but eventually we will want to get it signed by Thwaite or Verisign


    Thanks, Lindsay

  5. #5
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    72

    Re: Self contained signed commercial python Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    Hi blackpaw,

    Yes you can make a SIS file with the python scripts, python and other extensions. You can sign this SIS file to make a SISX file. You can get it signed using opensigned online at www.symbiansigned.com / using your developer cert / signing it by using your publisher id at the same site.

    Best Regards
    Croozeus

    Cool, thanks Croozeus.

  6. #6
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    57

    Re: Self contained signed commercial python Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by blackpaw View Post
    Just the std Read/Write User Data, Local Services and Network.
    Then You don't need to sign it at all. Self-signing with ensymble will do.

    But if You want to make your app "trusted" (no warnings at install and no settings to change on the phone), Symbian Signed is the only way. Thawte or Verisign won't do (as they did in java).

    Note that Symbian Signed is not only Open Signed (IMEI-bound) but also Express Signed where You send in Your application once and get a perfectly installable sisx the same day.

    Mike

  7. #7
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    72

    Re: Self contained signed commercial python Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by nokia_e70 View Post
    Note that Symbian Signed is not only Open Signed (IMEI-bound) but also Express Signed where You send in Your application once and get a perfectly installable sisx the same day.Mike
    So a expressed signed app can be installed on any (compatible) phone?

  8. #8
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    133

    Re: Self contained signed commercial python Apps

    Quote Originally Posted by blackpaw View Post
    So a expressed signed app can be installed on any (compatible) phone?
    Yes, thats Right!

    An open Signed Application is restricted by the IMEI number and can install on the specific device only. Also we do get a dialog during installation saying that the application is intended for development purposes.
    Kandyfloss

    V 7.0642.0
    18-10-06
    RH-51
    Nokia 7610

  9. #9
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    72

    Re: Self contained signed commercial python Apps

    Thanks, thats great.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,280

    Re: Self contained signed commercial python Apps

    Hi,

    Note that you need a publisher ID (cost $200) for express signed whereas open signed online is free (althought IMEI limited).

    So, either pay for the publisher ID or put up with the warnings on the self-signed sisx if you want to distribute your app.

    Sorcery

Similar Threads

  1. Please help installing Python libraries on S60
    By ericroijen in forum Python
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2009-07-18, 10:43
  2. Digitally Signed Java Apps
    By Kirann6233 in forum Mobile Java Networking & Messaging & Security
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2007-11-27, 01:25
  3. A Case, how python apps works easily! 3rd
    By big_pig in forum Python
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2006-12-18, 07:17
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2006-01-31, 10:52
  5. Commercial application/games with Python
    By spaceman76 in forum Python
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2005-07-12, 09:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •