Discussion Board

Update resource files for PhoneBook (N73)

Hi,

I would like to add some additional fields to the system template used by the PhoneBook application. I sorted out the system template is defined by ctnmodel.rsc. On N73 there is a SIS stub for the phone book application. With a hex editor you can see cntmodel.rsc is included in this SIS stub - therefore cntmodel.rsc should be upgradable using a PU package.

However, my N73 contains cntmodel.rsc contains localized resource files for the EURO language pack with extensions ctnmodel.r01, etc. These files are not mentioned in the SIS stub module.

As a consequence we call install cntmodel.rsc in the c: drive, but it is not used by the phone book app, because it will find cntmodel.r01 in the z: drive.

If we try to install an update for cntmodel.r01 on the c: drive this fails (component already built-in), because the localized files are not mentioned in the phonebook SIS stub.

I upgraded the N73 to the latest firmware (v4.0735.3.0.2 01-09-2007 RM-133 Nokia N73 (02)).

Any suggestions?

BR,

Rene
    Rene Heuven
    Inmote - Creative Smartphone Solutions
    Web: www.inmote.com
    E-mail: rene@inmote.com

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Update resource files for PhoneBook (N73)

The first problem you need to solve is getting the right to update an application that does not belong to you. The Symbian Signed testing criteria includes a list of known and accepted uupdatable packages but any other updates are excluded.

Once you get the approval from the manufacturer for patching that application I am sure they will also tell you how to do it.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi itomuta,

I checked the document "Symbian Signed Test Criteria 3.0.1_ISSUED.pdf". I am not sure, but I the document gives some allowed package UIDs to update central repository, etc. I think you mean these package UIDs with "list of known and accepted updateable packages". Is that correct?

Then coming to the part of getting approval from the manufacturer - how do I get that? I do not need any additional capabilities ... so are you suggesting I should address this through an account manager from Forum Nokia LaunchPad for instance? Actually I do not know if a LaunchPad member has a partner manager. So how to proceed here? Any advise?

Best regards,

Rene
    Rene Heuven
    Inmote - Creative Smartphone Solutions
    Web: www.inmote.com
    E-mail: rene@inmote.com

Nokia Developer Moderator

A good starting point would be to ask at nokia.testig@nokia.com wheher you can get a waiver for Symbian Signed
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite