Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Forum Nokia Code Camp (Espoo Finland)

Visited "Forum Nokia Code Camp: S60 Sensor APIs" earlier today. Cannot go into details, since I signed an NDA, but here's general feelings:

First half of day was fast and technical, as expected. Sensor tech overview, availability now and in future, samples, architecture and APIs, few tough questions. The standard agenda.

There was also two less techy presentations, one about python and another about Flash Lite. Quite fast overviews, but more exciting than extremely detailed hardcore C++ transitions (as new python convert, I'm biased. I used to jump for those).

Second half of day was dedicated to DIY "coding". Some people had to leave early to catch a train and showed something they had prepared earlier: mobile to mobile, client-server, bluetooth and sensors! Very impressive technology presentation - disguided as a fun game.

What really surprised me was the results of the day. Six demos of which three (3) used python (unknowns counted as C++ just in case). There were more C++ coders present, but they just wouldn't demo for some reason!

When you reach the deadline, you check the results. Either you have results or you don't. People with Money don't care whether you used assembly, C++ or python. They don't care how easy it's to refactor your code. They don't care about your coding convension.

People with Money care about results.

So what's Nokia going to do about this? Hopefully bigger budget for pyS60 team! They enable results within deadlines

Cheers,

--jouni

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Forum Nokia Code Camp (Espoo Finland)

Thanks Jouni,

I appreciate your taking the time to talk about the code camps we are doing a lot of them this year and they aren't getting the promotion that they deserve.

Regarding Py60 I can't define budgets but it is drawing a lot of attention and Nokia didn't get to be #1 by being stupid.

Ron

Regular Contributor

Hi,

PyS60 is really catching everyone's eyes and surely I think Nokia my have good future plans for the same.
    Kandyfloss

V 7.0642.0
    18-10-06
    RH-51
    Nokia 7610

Super Contributor

Yes, Python for S60 is growing rapidly and becoming a more and more common choice when developing mobile applications. This can only get better

Regular Contributor

I'd love to see Nokia preinstall Python on new phones - it would be an excellent replacement for the boondoogle J2ME has become.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by blackpaw View Post
    I'd love to see Nokia preinstall Python on new phones - it would be an excellent replacement for the boondoogle J2ME has become.
    Hello,

Yes, thats a thing that would really boost development of PyS60 developers. Nokia has shipped so many devices with Flash Lite, so they would soon think of Python For S60.
    Now I am trying to collect some standalone applications in PyS60 which are really goood, have utility and also innovative. If we have a good collection of such a stuff then we could perhaps request this to Nokia, saying that there are so many standalone successful applications coming up with PyS60 and so PyS60 is no longer only a prototyping language but more of a rapid and an easy mobile application development tool.

Those of you, in the course of learning PyS60, have some really good and fully functional applications in PyS60 can contact me by sending me an email (using my screen name) I plan to add the applications to my tutorials so that real time applications may attract more developers to learn python and thus may be helpful to learn too.

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by blackpaw View Post
    Yes, I'd like that too - there's no reason python VM couldn't be on every phone like j2me is today. Yes, I don't mean Symbian only but S40 and other matufacturers' phones (they all have j2me VM).

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    plan to add the applications to my tutorials
    I've been looking at pyS60 wiki pages quite a lot and especially about the "Applications" section. It's so out-of-date, so un-ordered, so discouraging dump of partially outdated info - that I've actually thought about doing something about it! Almost, but not quite yet.

In previous lifetime I created and maintained for a while a game development orientated site. Lots of work, with side-effects.

Question: why would you add the material on your tutorials, instead of pyS60 wiki? That would add fragmentation, which might not be a good signal to Nokia python roadmappers?

Wondering,

--jouni

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by nokia_e70 View Post
    there's no reason python VM couldn't be on every phone like j2me is today.
    The reason is that memory is expensive. Not only as monetary value, but as space. If you install python, it means something else won't be there!

Without multiple valid use cases, without even one operator request or cool Nokia application, there is no justification to "waste/invest" memory for pyS60.

I guess the first step would be trying to get pyS60 preinstalled to the first device - on the user area, not on the ROM. One step at a time.

Personally (as new python wanna-be) I find it annoying that Flash Lite got so fast official status but what can you do: graphics support is so great that each app cannot but look good... or maybe in other words, Flash has nothing but graphics support. Python is more technical, more low-level, more extendable, more standard old-fashioned UI style.

Boring when compared to flashy colorful non-standard flash apps.

Btw maybe python strenght could be easy low-level access to hardware? There are some j2me apps, which use python to interact with hw. Mobile JNI simply does not exist, not sure whether MIDP 3.0 will fix this...

Rambling,

--jouni

Nokia Developer Champion

hi all this thread is really valuable.
    the best thing we can say abt python for series60 is that we can rapidly start building applications. more over the idea of python preinstalled python in nokia devices is really great. we all PyS60 developers should look into this matter very seriously and request nokia for a python in the mobile
    thanks

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JOM View Post
    The reason is that memory is expensive.
    Naah If there's a reason why my phone has 64MB instead of (input multiple of 64MB here) it's surely not the cost. It's political.

If you install python, it means something else won't be there!
    Come on, let's not fight over 1MB! And if it must be... the hell with that java thing

there is no justification to "waste/invest" memory for pyS60.
    Yes, I agree, there's no justification for preinstalling pyS60 as everyone can get the sis, and the apps that use it may include one in their own installer. I wasn't talking S60. I was talking ALL phones. Also those which have only one option for apps, and that is j2me (again, this is political).

There are some j2me apps, which use python to interact with hw.
    Das ist interresant... More details, please?