Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbian signing got me confused

Hi, I am fairly new to the Symbian development (mostly done Java ME before). I have done some small test applications with Carbide.c++ and they have been working just fine in my phones.

Now I have started working on my first symbian application that needs a capability: SwEvent. I am able to run it on the emulator just fine. Today I added a new feature: Reading sensor data. Now it won't work anymore on the emulator (sensor libs not available for it) and when I try to deploy it to my phones, it will complain about the certificate.

So, I have been reading a lot about Symbian signing, but the situation seems amazingly confusing. It is as if most of the texts relating to it are already old information. But I don't know how to judge what is old and what is new. Only thing that worked for me right now was the free online signing, but using that for debugging hundreds of times would be utterly crazy.

My question is this: How do I get my application to work for on-device debugging and installation purposes? What kind of signing do I have to do? How to do it automatically in Carbide.c++? What certificates are needed? How to get them? I am only concerned of testing this with one phone (IMEI).

Well, thanks for your patience and sorry for me being a newbie
    Last edited by pillar; 2008-04-04 at 01:32. Reason: edit

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian signing got me confused

Have you seen the documents on www.symbiansigned.com ? "The Complete Guide To Symbian Signed" is accessible even without registration. The table on page 9 contains the solution: SwEvent capability cannot be granted via self-signing.

Regular Contributor

Yes, I have that document and I read most of it. I understand that SwEvent is not grantable by self signing. I have experienced it first hand :-) My real question was - what options do I have? Do I really have to get a publisher ID just to be able to on-device debug my little app on one phone? Also, if that is the case, how do I make Carbide.c++ to sign with the new devcert and not with the automatic self signing? Thanks.

Ah, you are asking about how to combine online signing with on device debug. Unfortunately I have no idea (have not used ODD so far), but it sounds interesting indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by pillar View Post
    how do I make Carbide.c++ to sign with the new devcert and not with the automatic self signing? Thanks.

In carbide, select project, right click to go to properties. there in carbide build configuration-sis builder you can se the signing options for your new devcert.

Regular Contributor

Thanks Symbian_Neil. We got the published ID, created developer certifiate and got it working in Carbide.c++. The work can finally move forward.

Hi,

I am a newbie in Symbian development.

I have done one S60 3rd edition application and needs to be signed.

Capabilities used in the applications are
    LocalServices, network services,readuserdata,writeuserdata,userenvironment and "SwEvent".

Could anyone having a sample package of the information we want to submit for Symbian signing? if availble please sent to jobin.antony@gmail.com
    (no need of .sis file :-)).

I am bit confusing after reading the SymbianSigned procedures..

How can we prepare the capabilities- API used document?

Do anyone have the old tool8 (Automated testapplication)?
    Any other freeware tools are availbe for testing our application?

Thanks in advance

jobin

Quote Originally Posted by jobincantony View Post

How can we prepare the capabilities- API used document?
    I don't know if there are any guidelines for this but do remove all the capabilities from your MMP file, rebuild the application and then run it in the emulator going through as much of its features as supported by the emulator.

The result is a list of *PlatSec* warnings in the emulator telling you what capability you need and why.

Then make a brief list of main APIs for each capability used (you should know why you used it to start with) and attach the full log to the document. Nobody can ask for more than that.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite