Discussion Board

Data connection & Python

I move new version of my programs from my PC by putting the N95 into data connection (not PC suite mode). I then drag the files to the mobile phone E:\python directory.

The problem I have having is that when one is in data mode, python is disabled (a message pops up that "memory acess is disabled during data acess mode).

This means that to test out the python program I have to disconnect and then later reconnect to get new updates.

There has to be a better workflow, but I am a newbie and I have not seen anything in the FAQ.

(I am using the USB data cable).

Super Contributor

Re: Data connection & Python

A very fast way to test applications is the emulator. That is of course if your apps don't require special features like network access etc.
    Last edited by bogdan.galiceanu; 2008-04-06 at 18:51.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by DrYSG View Post
    I move new version of my programs from my PC by putting the N95 into data connection (not PC suite mode).
    Is there a reason for not using PC Suite mode? (like, I don't know, usnupported operating system?) Or doesn't the PC Suite mode work with memory cards?

Nokia Developer Champion

hi DrYSG
    the problem is bit hasty. one option infront of you is that as suggested by bogdan use emulator for testing ur applications.
    one another solution is that put that file in memory card drive i hope when u will open the file the python installer will open and it will ask u to install the .py file as script file or library file.
    plz i m not sure abt this solution plz check it and give me a feedback.
    thanx

The emulator is not a great solution since we are mainly interested in sensors and devices (camera, bluetooth based sensors, bluetooth and network gyros, motors, etc.)

The suggestion about using PC suite sounds good. But is there a way to move files from the PC using the suite? Won't this also block Python (are we talking about the tool "explore your device"?) I need to check this out when I get back to the office.

Nokia Developer Moderator

The suggestion about using PC suite sounds good. But is there a way to move files from the PC using the suite? Won't this also block Python (are we talking about the tool "explore your device"?)
    Hi DrYSG,

I push my files to the phone using the PC suite sometimes and it works fine (I prefer Bluetooth connectivity rather then USB cable for python files as they are small)
    There is a phone browser in PC suite that allows this file transfer. I don't face any problems as such python getting blocked, so it will definitely work on your N95 too

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Everything is as croozeus says, I keep my phone plugged through the USB all the time and it doesn't block anything. You don't even have to run the PC Suite itself - just install it and You have Your phone in the explorer tree under My Computer->Nokia Phone Browser.

Thank you guys. It works.

One small follow-up question. I have turned off keyboard locking and active stanby on my N95. But it still seems to go into some sort of hibernate state after about 5 minutes, and I lose the connection.

They only way I have found to restart the PC-suite connect on the phone is replugging the cord in.

(I did verify that I don't have to start the PC-suite on the PC to be able to move files).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Smile Re: Data connection & Python

Thank you guys. It works.

One small follow-up question. I have turned off keyboard locking and active stanby on my N95. But it still seems to go into some sort of hibernate state after about 5 minutes, and I lose the connection.

They only way I have found to restart the PC-suite connect on the phone is replugging the cord in.

(I did verify that I don't have to start the PC-suite on the PC to be able to move files).
    The hibernate state you are talking about may be the Power Saver Timeout/screensaver, If you wish to change timeout for the Power saver then
    Tools ->Settings ->General -> Personalization -> Display -> Power saver timeout and give a long duration which may be 90 seconds.

And I don't see any reason that the connection to the phone is lost when there is the Power saver display. Atleast not in my case.

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

I have turned off keyboard locking and active stanby on my N95. But it still seems to go into some sort of hibernate state after about 5 minutes
    No idea here, although I do loose the connection sometimes but that's because of my cable (it got 'loosy' pretty quickly from daily plugging). If I keep it at constant position no such thing happens, but I have older firmware (S60v3 initial), so perhaps less power-saving features...

Other than that, could be some power-saving on the PC-side?

Well, I am also puzzled. It is not the screensaver, since it is not at the 90sec mark, but at more like the 5 minute mark.

It is also not the PC, since I am busy doing edits in Komodo when I hear the phone go queep and the PC Suite on the phone shuts down.

I just upgraded the firmware to v 15.

What would be nice for devices such as this phone to have something akin to the introspection and reflection that python has (i.e. I want to ask the phone: "Why did you just shut down
    "?, and it could say, "because of this silly setting you left at factory defaults".)

With phones getting more and more complex, this seems to be an area of future ergonomic research.

Nokia Developer Champion

hi DrYSG
    your notion is really great that your phone should tell that what the error is there and how to correct it.
    thats really great

I am hoping you are not laughing at me. I am not asking for general purpose self-diagnosis. All I am saying is that if the phone just turned off (or any other feature is off or on) then there is clearly a setting that has been set. Well we currently have a one-way directed graph that allows us to change a setting (tools, profiles, etc) that turns on or off that feature.

Why not a mapping that goes the opposite way. Something that would allow me to ask things like (which of umpteen setting could have turned off the backlight). Clearly this information exists and can be put in a table.

Nokia Developer Champion

hi DrYSG
    I am definitely not laughing at you and infact ur notion has come up as a innovative idea in me.
    i now hope that u believe that i m not laughing at u.
    ok

Regular Contributor

Something that would allow me to ask things like (which of umpteen setting could have turned off the backlight).
    I would certainly like my phone to talk with me, to tell me what I want to know and to do what I want it to do. Like:

Me: why did You turn off the backlight?
    Phone: there's a setting there and there
    Me: turn off that damn setting, I want the backlight on constantly
    Phone: Yes, sir!

And:

Phone: You are trying to install an untrusted application, I advise You do not do this as You may harm me
    Me: Are You my phone or are You not?
    Phone: Well, Yes...
    Me: Just install the damn application!
    Phone: All right, all right