Discussion Board

Canvas & debug print statements

Here is a real newbie question:

I am using print statements for debug. But my latest application is using a Canvas (I need to get keypresses and show images). The canvas covers the screen and I can't see the print statements. (I have not discovered a way of shrinking the canvas other than app.normal, which is not enough shrinkage).

Is there a simple way to mix print and Canvas? Is there a form one can place on the cavas for scrolling text windows?

I apoligize, but I searched the FAQ and did not find an answer.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Canvas & debug print statements

You could try to write on the canvas using a small font. Maybe something like this:

Code:
    canvas.text((10,y), u"Text goes here", font="default")
    y+=15

#You have to increase y each time to avoid writing on top of the previous line
    Other than that I don't know of anything that would work.

EDIT:There may be a "long way around": having a menu to switch between the two.
    Code:
    import appuifw, e32
    from graphics import *
    from key_codes import *

a=e32.Ao_lock()
    def quit():a.signal()
    appuifw.app.exit_key_handler=quit

bg=Image.new((240,240))

t=appuifw.Text()

#The keyboard class I used can be found here (at "Method 2"):http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/How_to_handle_keypress_easily

def showc():
    	global keyboard
    	def handle_redraw(rect):canvas.blit(bg)
    	canvas=appuifw.Canvas(event_callback=keyboard.handle_event, redraw_callback=handle_redraw)
    	appuifw.app.body=canvas

def showt():
    	global t
    	appuifw.app.body=t
    	t.add(u"G\n")

appuifw.app.menu=[(u"Canvas", showc), (u"Text", showt)]

t.add(u'Something')
    bg.text((30,30), u"Something", font="title")
    t.add(u"something else\n")

a.wait()
    In the example above, you can use the menu to switch between canvas and text. To illustrate that it works, every time you select "text", "G" will be printed. Just adapt it to your needs.
    Last edited by bogdan.galiceanu; 2008-04-06 at 19:08.

Regular Contributor

If You want to see exceptions, use an exception harness (search the forum for that) to display unhandled exceptions.

As to mixing print and canvas, there's no easy way. The thing you describe about "scrolling text window" is perfectly possible in python (using redirection of sys.stdout and sys.stderr), but well - someone has to write it .

And then there's the canvas.text method that Bogdan mentioned, which You can use instead of print (easy if You want one short message at a time).

Oh, and another idea: while You can't have two different built-in controls (like Canvas and Text) on screen at once, You can have one under the other. You could use Your canvas normally and print to the Text window below. Use a key handler to switch to the Text window and back whenever You'd want to see Your debug messages. Utilizing the print statement and catching the exceptions is possible with this method also (using redirection of sys.stdout and sys.stderr).
    Last edited by nokia_e70; 2008-04-06 at 19:41.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by DrYSG View Post
    Here is a real newbie question:

I am using print statements for debug. But my latest application is using a Canvas (I need to get keypresses and show images). The canvas covers the screen and I can't see the print statements. (I have not discovered a way of shrinking the canvas other than app.normal, which is not enough shrinkage).

Is there a simple way to mix print and Canvas? Is there a form one can place on the cavas for scrolling text windows?

I apoligize, but I searched the FAQ and did not find an answer.
    Maybe you could use audio.say(u'debug message') instead of print u'debug message'

Ilpo

Great idea. I am obviously thinking too much inside the box, and this is embarrasing, since I try to the be to be the out of the box thinker.