Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Flash lite 1.x and Databases

Hello,

I am new to this Flash Lite but am so excited about it. I have been developing for S60 for ages and i want to give Flash Lite a try. My questions are:

1- does flash lite have any database system? is there any way of storing data on the phone in tables fashion, or files (not preferable though)?

2- And is this support (if any) limited to Nokia devices only or is it available for all other handsets?

many thanx
    AF

Re: Flash lite 1.x and Databases

Hi,

there's not any type of database system supporting Flash Lite... Anyway you can store data on the phone by using Shared Objects (FL >= 2.0) or by using external tools which allows you to save txt or xml files. This is free:

http://www.scriptamanentgroup.net/byte/?p=144

Alternatively you can use some commercial products like Kuneri Lite, Janus Symbian etc...

Hope this helps,

Leonardo
    [url]http://www.leonardorisuleo.info/blog/[/url]

Regular Contributor

Thanx for the reply. that is really helpful.
    Will this work as well in the case of reading a file? Does reading from a file work in the same way: post commands to the host device?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by abolfoooud View Post
    Thanx for the reply. that is really helpful.
    Will this work as well in the case of reading a file? Does reading from a file work in the same way: post commands to the host device?
    Hi,

What do you mean? I think you don't need an external tool to read a txt file from FL 1.1 ...

Best,

Leonardo
    [url]http://www.leonardorisuleo.info/blog/[/url]

Regular Contributor

Leonardo said it well. We have been using TXT files as a database for some time, it works well. You can use those 3rd party tools, and read it using LoadVariables within Flash Lite, no extra tool required.

Ugur.-
    Follow me on Twitter [url]www.twitter.com/ugurkaner[/url]

Create sexiest Symbian apps faster & easier [url]www.kunerilite.net[/url]
    Turn your Joomla! website into a mobile site instantly [url]www.mobilejoomla.com[/url]

Regular Contributor

forgive my unfamiliarity yet with the platform i just thought since there is no direct way to right to a file then there is no direct way to read it! my suspicion was based on the reasoning that Symbian has data caging issues and maybe Flash cant over-run these yet. So appologies if my question was from outer space

Regular Contributor

Hey, I don't think that there is any necessity for excuse, newbies are always welcome

Actually you are right, if you put the external txt file and swf into a private folder, due data caging txt file will not load. Therefore you have to put those files together to a public folder.

Hope helps,

Ugur.-
    Follow me on Twitter [url]www.twitter.com/ugurkaner[/url]

Create sexiest Symbian apps faster & easier [url]www.kunerilite.net[/url]
    Turn your Joomla! website into a mobile site instantly [url]www.mobilejoomla.com[/url]

Regular Contributor

Instead of external data store in phone memory... you can store data in external server too... programatically you can store that data in your external databased. just post some data to your server and save it there.

After saving your data... you can either generate xml or name value pair from there and load it in your server.

But yes xml directly you can't load in flash lite 1.x for that you can use open service of nimoble.

http://www.nimoble.com/xml/parseXML.php?xml=<"your address">

Where, you can covert your xml to name value pairs.