Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Bundling python dll (3rd)

Hi

I'd like to bundle the python runtime inside my application, for exclusive use by it. So I don't want a "python" entry in the app manager, and I don't want it to collide with possible other python installation on the phone.

What are the steps involved? And will the python runtime suffer if I give it less capabilities (for example the self-signed six) ?

Re: Bundling python dll (3rd)

Quote Originally Posted by nokia_e70 View Post
    Hi

I'd like to bundle the python runtime inside my application, for exclusive use by it. So I don't want a "python" entry in the app manager, and I don't want it to collide with possible other python installation on the phone.
    The python entry is the Python shell app only ! So don't provide this app it's an easy solution

What are the steps involved? And will the python runtime suffer if I give it less capabilities (for example the self-signed six) ?
    Never tried with less caps but it should work because Python shell self-signed works with only 5 caps ...

Anyone ?

BR
    Cyke64
    pys60 1.4.5 and 2.0.0, pygame, PyS60 CE on E90 and 5800 !

Find my pys60 extension modules on cyke64.googlepages.com

Regular Contributor

Lightbulb Re: Bundling python dll (3rd)

Hi

There will be several problems

1) Python native module UIDs are hardcoded and owned by Nokia. You cannot publish 3rd ed. applications using them

2) Python paths are hardcoded. You should probably stick your self-compiled Python under /private/[YOUR APP UID]

3) Embedding Python app and boostrapping GUI in your own Symbian stub exe

Basically the current PyS60 build chain should be replaced with some more advanced solution (Scons anyone?) which will allow custom paths and UIDs.

I have been pondering with the idea to create a build chain to roll-out custom PyS60 distributions for some time now. If you are interested in to participate, please contact me.
    Mikko Ohtamaa

http://mfabrik.com
    http://blog.mfabrik.com