Discussion Board

Thread: Web RunTime

Web RunTime

Hi friends,

I want to do a sample application using web run time.
    What are the softwares I have to install?
    I am having Windows XP installed in my system.Nothing more than that.
    Please help me in this regard.

Thanks
    Sreedhar

Super Contributor

Re: Web RunTime

It depends. If you want the minimal set of tools, then all you need is a text file editor, a tool to package your applications as .zip files, and an icon/image editor.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ambatisreedhar View Post
    Hi friends,

I want to do a sample application using web run time.
    What are the softwares I have to install?
    I am having Windows XP installed in my system.Nothing more than that.
    Please help me in this regard.

Thanks
    Sreedhar
    I think you just need a text editing software (Notepad will do) that supports ANSI to edit your HTML, CSS or JavaScript codes. For debugging, you can use FireBug from Morzilla.
    Kandyfloss

V 7.0642.0
    18-10-06
    RH-51
    Nokia 7610

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kandyfloss View Post
    I think you just need a text editing software (Notepad will do) that supports ANSI to edit your HTML, CSS or JavaScript codes. For debugging, you can use FireBug from Morzilla.
    I'm not sure what you mean by ANSI here. Perhaps ASCII or "plain text"? ANSI usually refers to the terminal control codes that are used to provide colors and cursor control (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape_code) and that's not needed for widget development.

However you are right in principle that all that is needed is a simple text editor (Notepad will indeed do, though I would recommend something more robust and functional such as UltraEdit (http://www.ultraedit.com/), e (http://www.e-texteditor.com/) or similar that provides XML, XHTML, HTML, CSS and JavaScript syntax highlighting, smart indentation, etc.

If you will work on something more than a simple Hello World widget then you will also find that a JavaScript debugger helps a lot. With careful coding you can make your widget work in both Firefox and S60 WRT, which means you can use Firefox and its many available extensions. I recommend Firebug as a debugger and Greasemonkey with the XHR security bypass script to get around cross domain AJAX limitations which otherwise will make any AJAX coding impossible on the PC when testing from local files.

And of course in order to package the widget you will need something capable of zipping up the widget (which you then rename from .zip to .wgz).

Peppe