Discussion Board

Location based services in widgets

Hello,

I've just started making widgets for S60 platform. Can you tell me, if any location based services info is available from widget application? If so, how can I access it? Thank you

EvegniyA

Regular Contributor

Re: Location based services in widgets

Quote Originally Posted by EvgeniyA View Post
    Hello,
    I've just started making widgets for S60 platform. Can you tell me, if any location based services info is available from widget application? If so, how can I access it? Thank you
    Right now there is no access to such functionality. The mechanism for extending functionality is to create a browser plugin and then exposing that to JavaScript. If you then embed that plugin in the HTML (note that the plugin doesn't have to be visible) then you can use the new functionality in the widget code. Using that mechanism Nokia has demonstrated access to GPS and thus your current location, however that's not publicly available.

The main concerns are:

1) Installation procedure (making it work on your device is one thing - making it work easily enough for 10 million users to install your widget + plugin is another)
    2) Security (plugins allow widgets to do a lot of things that users would not expect and thus opens up new ways to attack the device)

Nokia has talked about slowly adding lower level functionality as the WRT platform matures and I would expect location to be among the first, but probably with a model that guarantees security for the end users.

Peppe

Hello,

EvegniyA
    Hi,

Location Services are accessible from Widget.

Refer http://library.forum.nokia.com/index...6BF_cover.html

-AJ

Nokia Developer Champion

Hello,

EvegniyA
    Hi EvegniyA,

If I understood your question correct then you can retrieve such Location based informations in widget with the help of JavaScript Service APIs. Note that Location Service APIs from JavaScript Service APIs, are part of WRT version 1.1 and it is available from S60 5th Edition.

Check this Wiki article: CS001161 - Obtaining location information
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team