Discussion Board

Self-signed application error :"Unable to install. Component is built-in"

Hi all,
    I have self-signed my app, following the instructions in the 3rd Initial Ed docs (makekeys and signsis)

Then i install the signed package on my Nokia N95, i get the error "Unable to install. Component is built-in"

Before that i got some warning about the self-signed app that might be harmful and such...

What is this "Unable to install. Component is built-in" error, every one?

Any reply will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Self-signed application error :"Unable to install. Component is built-in"

Check that your filenames & UID are unique. And that the UID is reserve for you. Easiest way to make file name unique is to use UID as part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    Check that your filenames & UID are unique. And that the UID is reserve for you. Easiest way to make file name unique is to use UID as part of it.
    Thanks yucca, but what do you mean by file name? Also, my app uid is generated by Carbide C++ wizard, How do i check if it's not conflicting with my phone?

Thanks again

With teh file names I mean, the names for your executable & resource files, and any other file that you have defined in the pkg.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    With teh file names I mean, the names for your executable & resource files, and any other file that you have defined in the pkg.
    Sorry yucca, what do you mean by unique? Apparently, the files are unique within my application, but how am i to know if they're conflicting with other application? I have tried to change my App Uid, I have tried to sign it with Symbian Signed Online, still "Component is built-in" occurs

Having said that, my app name is "ImageViewer", this is a pretty popular name, I wonder if it could be the problem.

OK, thanks Yucca and those who dropped by. I changed the app name to some other name and now it installs and runs fine. The only problem is it's installed but it removes (uninstalls) my other apps, strangely enough.

So it sounds like ImageViewer is one of those words that should never be used.

Consider it done. Thanks guys
    Cheers

The recommended good practice is to append the UID3 to your file names. Carbide.c++ in fact does that by default.

Since the UID is supposed to be unique so will be the resulting file names even if you have the strange desire to call all your apps ImageViewer

Then make sure that the package UID is also unique on your system.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite