Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

allfiles, DRM, TCB with "an all series 60" pkg

We recently got the following from Sogeti:

1. We got instructions from NokiaTesting that if the application is using sensible capabilities (allfiles, DRM, TCB) then in the pkg it should be declared:

IF manufacturer = 2 ; (2 is Nokia)
    ;This part will then contain the installation information about the files of the application
    ELSE
    "badmanufacturer.txt"-"", FILETEXT, TEXTEXIT
    ENDIF

I had been wondering for some time how Symbian would square the fact that a sis file requiring manufacturer approved capabilities would work when multiple manufacturers can be specified in the pkg. I didn’t mention it because I was hoping nobody noticed.

The above requirement is bad for me, since it now means that we need to support multiple, identical sis files (apart from the manufacturer id). This not only means we need to sign twice, it also means that during deployment we have to have a whole new set of logic to discriminate between the different phones and sis files. Sounds simple, but in practice it is complicated. Also costly (but we are getting used to this now).

So, the question is if we get Sogeti to test against a Series 60 handset from a different manufacturer, can that be signed for all series 60 handsets? Would/can Nokia block this? (even though they are not directly involved)

Failing that, can we have a waiver for this if we get agreement from all the manufacturers?
    Also, wouldn’t it make more sense just to have some kind of forum/ committee from the manufacturers to agree on the sensitive capabilities, rather than apply to each in turn?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: allfiles, DRM, TCB with "an all series 60" pkg

You can try to apply for a waiver against this requirement. If you obtain it from all the manufacturers involved then you have no problem.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Would I be correct in thinking it is only LG and Samsung at this stage?

Nokia Developer Moderator

The list of current S60 licensees is here: http://www.s60.com/business/community/licensees

In fact you should limit the installation of the package to those manufacturers that grant you the waiver and stop the installation on all other devices.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite