Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

On-device debug not working on N95

I'm using Carbide.c++ v1.3(b024) with the S60 3rd Edition FP2 SDK (final) and I want to do on-device debugging of my N95-1 running firmware V21.0.016. I installed that firmware via USB and the Nokia Software Updater, and I've also connected with the phone both in "PC Suite" and "Data transfer" modes, so I know the XP Pro system can communicate with the device.

My application runs fine in the emulator (I think that's a typical phrase), and of course I want to test it on the hardware. When I could not get the debugger to work with my application, I tried the example HelloWorldBasic project. I can build .sis and .sisx files, and the .sisx file installs and runs fine. When I try to debug it with the Carbide.c++ IDE, however, I get this message:
    Code:
    Load failed

TRKProtocolPlugin : Unable to install the application. If self signing, certificate
    could be invalid if your PC clock is ahead of your phone clock. If not, your 
    developer certificate may be invalid or UID of your application may be invalid 
    or already in use.

/OK/
    I made sure my phone clock was set "ahead" of my PC, same thing. I am using the TRK named s60_3_1_app_trk_2_8_7.sisx from my v1.3 install directory, which appears to be the same as the one at http://tools.ext.nokia.com/agents/index.htm. I also uninstalled the app, but got the same problem. I have a Developer's license for Carbide.c++ V1.3.

Is the problem that I am using an FP1 TRK on what is now an FP2 phone? what other issues are likely? I have poked around here, but having tried everything else (short of a complete windoze install mentioned in one thread), I'm stymied.

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: On-device debug not working on N95

How did the N95 become an S60 3.2 device over night?

Please do use the S60 3rd SDK FP1 (aka. S60 3.1) for building applications targeted to N95 and all the other S60 3rd FP1 based devices. See if it helps with the debugging too.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2008-04-11 at 21:20. Reason: Fixed typo
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    How did the N95 become an S60 3.2 device over night?
    By using the V21.0.016 firmware instead of the original V12.0.013, I think. At the very least, the WRT (Widget Run Time) works on the N95, and that is - from what I think I heard from the WRT developers - in important factor.

Nope, firmware versions do increase and features might be backported but that does not change the fundamentals: the N95 is (and will remain) an S60 3rd Edition FP1 based phone.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by UncleOp View Post
    By using the V21.0.016 firmware instead of the original V12.0.013, I think. At the very least, the WRT (Widget Run Time) works on the N95, and that is - from what I think I heard from the WRT developers - in important factor.
    I think you misunderstood. It just supports WRT. But the device still remains one which works on SDK S60 3rd SDK FP1.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    I think you misunderstood. It just supports WRT. But the device still remains one which works on SDK S60 3rd SDK FP1.
    OK. I've downloaded 3rd Ed FP1 and I'll give it a go.

So here's the naive, still-sort-of-a-newbie question: what is one supposed to do for application support? The perfect world would allow you to distribute a single instance of your application. It seems this world, however, requires that you must target your application much more carefully, and, from the end user's point of view, somewhat pointlessly.

It's basically a Configuration Management issue, and I'd feel better if I had a sense of what the firmware version means in relation to SDKs and the like. This must be an FAQ I've overlooked (the boon and bane of this forum is there is *so* much information available), so where is the pointer to the matrix?

I hope I'll be able to report success when I try things out with the new-but-old SDK. Thanks for the suggestion.

SDK selection criteria is briefly documented in section 2 of How do I start programming for Symbian OS?

The basic rule described there plus the Device Specifications info is all you need.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

Unhappy Re: On-device debug not working on N95

OK. I've downloaded 3rd Ed FP1 and I'll give it a go. ...

I hope I'll be able to report success when I try things out with the new-but-old SDK. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Not looking great for the home team. FP2's release notes include this under the "New features" section:
    - Standard C library support
    The Standard C library support of the SDK provides access to standard POSIX and middleware C libraries
    making it easier to port existing standard C applications to S60 3rd Edition.
    And, indeed, the port was relatively simple of my legacy C application in to FP2. Not trivial, but not too bad.

At the moment, it looks like there are only 4 phones extant that support 3rd Ed. FP2. Bummer. Is there a sense of whether older phones - like the N95 - will get FP2 support in another firmware update? Some of the "features", like the standard C library support, seem to be good candidates for a maintenance release.

One last question: since there are four Nokia devices that support FP2, why does Carbide.c++ v1.3 ship with only with a TRK for FP1 and the initial 3rd edition release?

Open C is available for S60 3rd Edition and S60 3rd Edition FP1 too, just download the appropriate SDK plug-in from the Forum Nokia web site. And no, the base platform of a device does not change.

The S60 3rd SDK supporting FP2 was just released and no phones are currently available. If only four such phones have been yet announced that does not mean that there will not be other phones based on this SDK. Quite far from it.

As there are no devices out yet there is no need for a TRK client either. But do check out for updates once you hear of the 3.2 devices shipping.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Open C is available for S60 3rd Edition and S60 3rd Edition FP1 too, just download the appropriate SDK plug-in from the Forum Nokia web site. And no, the base platform of a device does not change.
    Thanks - I'll look for that. Unless you define "base" as "original when released", I don't see why the SDK supported cannot change. Does the SDK always imply support for new/specific hardware, or can it not include software-only features?

The S60 3rd SDK supporting FP2 was just released and no phones are currently available. If only four such phones have been yet announced that does not mean that there will not be other phones based on this SDK. Quite far from it.
    I was led to believe from this - http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/m...3ed_fp2_1.html - that the devices are available. I didn't see any sign of "shipping in..." or "coming soon...". Oh well.

As there are no devices out yet there is no need for a TRK client either. But do check out for updates once you hear of the 3.2 devices shipping.
    I do see - with a quick search - that the N96 is due out in Q3 of 2008. Similarly, at least the N78 is supposed to become available next quarter. Gee, why don't the marketdroids ever tire of the game of making it hard to figure what's really out there? *sigh*

Thanks again for the pointers.

http://europe.nokia.com/A4142002 used to be a reliable source of information. Not any more unfortunately. The N96 and N78 should be listed as "Upcoming models" yet they are listed among those already shipping.

Well, what can we do other then send feedback to the responsible persons there ...
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

Question Re: On-device debug not working on N95

OK. I've downloaded 3rd Ed FP1 and I'll give it a go....

So the good word is that, having loaded the Open C update to the FP1 SDK and the four extra .sis files to my N95, I can run my application. Huzzah, and all that.

The bad news is that I continue to get the same error message when I try to run the IDE in on-device-debug mode. TRK on the N95 starts (via USB) successfully, and the IDE on XP Pro tries, but eventually fails with the same message I originally posted.

Thoughts? (and many thanks again for pointing out the FP1 v. FP2, plus Open C issue; that was very helpful.)

The bad news is that I continue to get the same error message when I try to run the IDE in on-device-debug mode. TRK on the N95 starts (via USB) successfully, and the IDE on XP Pro tries, but eventually fails with the same message I originally posted.

I must confess that I am yet to see this screencast, but I feel that it might help you in this quest!!

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    I must confess that I am yet to see this screencast, but I feel that it might help you in this quest!!
    I did try to follow that before I posted with my problem. Perhaps I overlooked something even there. But I did make an effort to figure it out with available resources before I came to the forum.

I did try to follow that before I posted with my problem. Perhaps I overlooked something even there. But I did make an effort to figure it out with available resources before I came to the forum.
    I mentioned that I had not seen it as it has been available only since today..16th April 2008 (The one I had seen was with carbide 1.1) Thats the reason I mentioned the screencast since I figured that this thread has been longer than one-day old and you might have not seen it atleast before today ;)