Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Emulator vs Device

Hi I have a working prototype of a program on the emulator but when I start the application on the device it doesnt even launch. I tried doing on device debugging and it looks like its exiting in the very beginning of the execution (just on creating the AppView class).

I should've tested on the device regularly but I was too busy working on a prototype. Any suggestions maybe I'm missing some obvious points cause I'm a beginner in Symbian programming.

I thought it was a stack size problem cause I was allocating 8kb for a stack sized member for simple testing, but I've changed this and using RBuf instead.

About user capabilities, shouldn't this give a warning if the problem is coming from there?

thanks

Re: Emulator vs Device

Your application is crashing at the time of launch. Please try to put log. There could be various reason like Panic , out of memory , wrong use of active object or file operation.
    Accredited Symbian Developer

Nokia Developer Moderator

Try to use the "Extended panic code" trick from wiki. Make also sure that all needed files are added to the PKG and thus installed on the phone. If you have changed the UID recently make sure the change was propagated in the entire project.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hi i wasnt getting the correct error using on device debugging because i was installing a release build on the mobile (stupid me!) so i couldnt debug correctly. So i went to add the ErrRd file using FExplorer but this cannot be done with S60 3rd FP1. So i installed Dr.Jukka tools and again no error just KILL: 0 normally.

after a while i repeated using a debug build and on device debugging and yep you were right it was a missing file :)

Strange thing about on device debugging here (Nokia 5700 Xpress) is that I have to preinstall the sis file before i can commence actual debugging. However this is not crucial since I can still work.

Regular Contributor

The sisx file should be installed during the debug process. Please make sure that you use Carbide C++ 1.3 and the latest TRK which comes with that version. There wére a lot of improvements concerning on device debugging.

Bernd

Regular Contributor

I'm having a classic emulator v. device issue. It seems to have to do with the amount of memory I am (not) getting from the heap on the target device, an N95-1 running firmware v21.0.016. I have explicitly set EPOCHEAPSIZE to various values. Sometimes my application runs until it has used 4MB of memory, then dies. Other times I just get a "Memory full; try closing some applications" message.

My application works fine in the emulator (S60 3rd Ed, FP1 or FP2); in fact, the emulator was clever enough to force me to increase my EPOCHEAPSIZE, and I've congfirmed the values I put in my .mmp made it into the .GCCE file that does the make.

I've tried a variety of heap analysis checks suggested in the forums, but they don't show me what's wrong.

I've seen some other suggestions that one should "reformt" the phone; is there a known issue with memory fragmentation? The phone indicates it has over 100MB of memory free. And this happens even though I've power-cycled the device.

Thanks in advance.

An N95 cannot have 100 MB of free RAM, what you're seeing must be the disk space.

On N95 I've seen some 20 MB of free RAM and I am able to use them almost entirely, down to the limit of some 12 KB free memory.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    An N95 cannot have 100 MB of free RAM, what you're seeing must be the disk space.
    Perhaps. When I go to Menu:Options:Memory details:Phone memory, I see "46MB Memory in use", "102MB Free Memory". When I go to Menu:Tools:Utilities:Memory, I see, "Memory card: Capacity 982 MB; Used: 399MB; Free: 583MB".
    On N95 I've seen some 20 MB of free RAM and I am able to use them almost entirely, down to the limit of some 12 KB free memory.
    I assume that the memory breakdown I am seeing doesn't distinguish well between RAM and internal SSD. (Though I think it is correctly NOT reporting the 2GB microSD card that is also in the phone; that's a separate item.)

Is there a practical way to disable or shut off "resident" applications (like the music player or video player) without completely removing them? I'd like to be able to get my application running in Memory Pig(sm) mode first, and then play with reduced-memory strategies that would allow the other apps to remain.

Oh, and I almost forgot: is there a version (or FP) of the OS that will support paging to the internal SSD? I had thought it was a feature of the S60 3rd Edition, but now I realize I could have simply been dreaming...
    Last edited by UncleOp; 2008-04-18 at 22:42. Reason: query about paging

Quote Originally Posted by UncleOp View Post
    Oh, and I almost forgot: is there a version (or FP) of the OS that will support paging to the internal SSD? I had thought it was a feature of the S60 3rd Edition, but now I realize I could have simply been dreaming...
    Remember that the OS is called Symbian, and it has a web-site www.symbian.com clicking on the OS tab there brings you to http://www.symbian.com/symbianos/index.html, where you can proceed to http://www.symbian.com/symbianos/dem...ing/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by that page
    Demand Paging roadmap
    Symbian OS v9.3:

Demand paging of read-only code and data from the ROM file system

Symbian OS v9.5

Paging of read only code and data from internal fixed storage (e.g. ROFS partitions on NAND or on internal fixed MMC)
    Enables paging of operator customizations in ROFS, user-installed applications on c: etc

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Remember that the OS is called Symbian, and it has a web-site www.symbian.com clicking on the OS tab there brings you to http://www.symbian.com/symbianos/index.html, where you can proceed to http://www.symbian.com/symbianos/dem...ing/index.html
    Fair 'nuff. So it looks like it may be time for me to break my large, statically-linked app into DLLs when I can. Of course, that same pages says:
    Demand Paging performance may vary
    Is there a single page that shows a table (or some similar visual) of how a given Symbian OS maps to the Nokia/Symbian SDKs and FPs? That would help me demystify some of the issues better.

Thanks for the pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleOp View Post
    Is there a practical way to disable or shut off "resident" applications (like the music player or video player) without completely removing them? I'd like to be able to get my application running in Memory Pig(sm) mode first, and then play with reduced-memory strategies that would allow the other apps to remain.
    You can use as much of the available memory as you need. When the amount of free memory is low the OS will request other applications to quit so that more free memory will become available. This can be seen when e.g. you are playing music in the background and then start browsing large web pages. As some point the music player is going to exit and the browser will use the freed memory.

This mechanism is implemented at OS level and you need not do anything to enable it. At the same time you must not do anything to disable it either.
    -- Lucian