Discussion Board

Thread: 6300 / SDK / VB

6300 / SDK / VB

I tried to start up reading out a 6300 using SDK 3.0 creating a small VB6 application according to chapter 3.2.5 Starting sequence example. Thist works fine except that PhoneInfoEventsSuite.get_DeviceStatus always reports 1 - REMOVED wheather the phone is attached or not, or whatever connection type is chosen. The phone itself shows the cable icon correctly. An event is fired at Form_Load after execution of PhoneInfoEventsSuite.StartListeningPhoneInfoEvents.

Well, 6300 phone as well as USB connection cable work without any problem when using Nokia PC Suite, so could it be that SDK 3.0 will not work correctly with a 6300 phone? If yes, which SDK else should I use?

The 6300 isn't listed for 3.0 because it's newer that the SDK, so I assumed that SDK 3.0 would be ok also.

Thanks for reading this,
    Robby

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: 6300 / SDK / VB

If by "SDK 3.0" you mean the Nokia PC Connectivity SDK 3.0, then forget it (it is several years old, and has not been updated with support for any newer phones made in the last several years).

What's available, instead, is the PC Suite Connectivity API, which is now at version 3.2.

Hi petrib,

thank you for your quick answer.

As far as I see "PC Suite Connectivity API" will expect to have installed "Nokia PC Suite", whearas "PC Connectivity Solution" will allow to write stand alone programs without the need to install the suite. That's what I want to make, stand alone programs.

Therefore I downloaded and installed "PC Connectivity Solution", but there is no single piece of documentation enclosed, and I can't find any other link to download such a documentation.

So, does anyone know where to get documentation for "PC Connectivity Solution", or much better, any working documentation?

Nokia Developer Champion

The page

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...le_Driver.html

has a paragraph that starts with: "To request further details about Nokia PC Connectivity Solution..."

Thank you for your answer, but there are remaining still two problemas, at least:

1st, the contact address seems to be a black hole, with no response. Nothing, null, niente.

2nd, there are obviously two library packs which should allow writing stand alone software,

- Nokia PC Connectivity SDK 3.0
    which seems to fail steadily, even on documentation examples. Although it might be old and not up to date I would have expected that the simplest start up procedure would work, more or less.

- Nokia PC Connectivity Solution
    which is newer but without support for VB5/VB6 therefore useless for people like me which need easy and fast access and have no knowledge and/or time to deal with C++ or VB.net implementations.

The third way using PC Suite Connectivity API assumes Nokia PC Suite to be installed which is not practicable if one wants to write software for unexperienced users.

So I would like to know if there is any working Connectivity SDK 3.0 or Connectivity Solution example for VB5/VB6 available anywhere in the world, till now I couldn't find any. Even an answering address might make me happy.

Nokia Developer Champion

"PC Connectivity SDK 3.0": As stated, forget about it, because it is not current/relevant and not going to be. It is history.

Nokia PC Connectivity Solution: Seems like more of a subset of the Nokia PC Suite Connectivity API that, as you said, doesn't require the full PC Suite (however, then it might and probably is missing many of the higher-level functions/services that require more than the core connectivity pieces). If the person mentioned on the Forum Nokia page doesn't reply to their email, then there's not much I can do about that (perhaps the moderators can check whether the name and person is correct, and if not have the page changed with a more suitable contact).