Discussion Board

Win2k & Modem with 6210

Hi there,

When I try to install the 6210 as a modem on my Dell Laptop (C800 Latitude), I have 2 problems. The first is that it does not give me an option to connect via IR, and the second is that it cannot detect my cable connection (com 1 serial port). I do not get the Ir issue with the PC suite (haven't tried the cable). I have read a similar question and downloaded the suggested Hotfix regarding the IR issue as I believe there is a problem mapping Virtual IR communications port in Win 2k (I have Service Pack 2), but it isn't clear if this person encountered the problem at installation as I did. I also could not find the Ir comm setup files for win2k, Microsoft appears to have archived them and I can only get access if I order the developer's tool kit( this is where the support for that problem directed me - eventually).

Any ideas? I would prefer to connect via Ir but the cable would be good too (I have tried another cable & this doesn't seem to be the problem)

RE: Win2k & Modem with 6210

O.K. You guys, don't worry I have solved my own problem. The cable one was simple, I had the 5110 cable which fits perfectly but doesn't work with the 6210. Regarding the IR connection, I got the IRda modem setup download files from the following website:

http://winservices.web.cern.ch/winservices/docs/ACB/#h-09

which has an article on the 6210 and the drivers to download. The file I downloaded didn't actually fix the problem as it didn't appear to have the Ircomm setup files, but there is a reference to these files in the article underneath for another phone (a Motorola) which directed me to the following site:

http://www.cyber-mill.com/irdaw2k.zip

I installed the drivers first, then ran the the IRda modem setup files, and voila!

N.B. If you wish to use the cable as well, you need to install the cable modem first from the CD otherwise they both get set to the same port and you can't change it later.